SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobbyfarmer_gw

Need to clear large amount of branches

17 years ago

I'm looking for the most practical way to get rid of a huge amount of dead brush. My husband and I have just moved to a neglected four-acre farm. The previous residents have left huge piles of dead trees and branches in the corrals. In addition, there is a large amount of overgrown brush around the house and sheds, creating a fire hazard. By clearing it away, I'm adding to this enormous amount of wood.

I've checked into renting a truck and taking this wood to the dump. It would take several trips, be very expensive (several hundred dollars), and require a lot of work.

I'd prefer to chop up these branches and make mulch for use in our garden, compost pile, and chicken coop. I'd hate to buy a wood chipper, as they're expensive and I don't think I'll need one in the future, after this brush is gone. The branches I have range from 1" to 4" in diameter. I'm new to this - are there services that would convert this to mulch for me? Would it be better to rent a wood chipper and have it delivered?

In short, is there any somewhat inexpensive way (under $200) to get rid of several large piles of dead branches? I have about four 10 foot by 8 foot piles. Thanks!

Comments (11)