SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

WALATing this afternoon - photo heavy thread!

The 'what's blooming/what's to come thread made me do a walk this afternoon to check on things. I took some pictures along the way. I've tried to organize the pictures to show what a visitor would see on approaching and then walking around the garden.

Approaching down the street from the north (the most common approach to the house), you can't really see much initially at this time of year as all the trees are leafed out and have grown large enough now to mostly hide the garden. In this view (taken from the road, standing at the north end of the property) you can see the 'moat' bed running along the ditch on the left side of the photo and the north alley fence running into the distance on the right side of the photo:
{{gwi:265288}}

Moving forward a bit, you can look into the front bed across from the 'moat' bed. The 'moat' plantings are taller on the ends but low in the middle to allow the front bed to be visible from the road. Pink and white (mostly from purple coneflowers, Phlox 'David' and 'White Moth' hydrangeas) dominate at the moment. In a week or two there will be some dark red hardy hibiscuses to add stronger color - at the moment there is a single 'Luna Red' hibiscus and only a few pink Disco Belles hibiscuses in bloom.
{{gwi:235285}}

Arriving at the end of the driveway it doesn't look like much is going on....:
{{gwi:265289}}
There is more happening than is evident in the picture, but the big show really happens in the fall when the White Ash tree flames into color above the roof! We will probably lose it someday to EAB, although Green Ash succumbs faster to EAB - you can see in the picture that the neighbour's Green Ash is looking very sickly even though they have treated their tree (as we have too although my initial inclination was to just leave it alone and see what happens. DH didn't like that idea though...)
{{gwi:235285}}

At the foot of the driveway you can see some light colors - that is a few Hydrangea and Disco Belle flowers:
{{gwi:265290}}
That Disco Belle is a seedling - most of the others I have (some of them also seedlings of the original one) have a dark pink eye but there are a couple that are missing the eye - and one that is a dark pink witth much larger flowers (not blooming yet....) Most look like this:
{{gwi:265291}}
You can see some of the asters that will bloom in late September and October in those pictures - for bushy asters, cut them back 3-4 times, the last cutting-back being the first week of July, then leave them alone to set the flowerbuds. Ditto for 'mums.

Standing on the driveway looking across the narrow driveway border at the main front bed, you can see more Disco Belle hibiscuses in that bed. It'll be another week before the hibiscuses will be in peak bloom I think.
{{gwi:265292}}

DH was harvesting beans from the ones we grow in big pots on the driveway (Since there is no sunny space for a veggie garden in the backyard, all the veggies are grown in pots on the driveway!)
{{gwi:265293}}
You can see a clump of 'mums at the bottom of that picture. They will bloom in October (white and some pink....) We've been experimenting with the Queen Elizabeth rose you can see in that picture - letting it get tall and trying to turn it into a quasi-tree! :-)

The other (south) side of the driveway is where our small 'hot' bed is with reds, orangy, and peachy colors. Most of the daylilies are fading now and the 'Paprika' rose has mostly finished blooming but hasn't yet developed its colorful hips. I can never get a good picture of that bed! This is the best I could do:
{{gwi:265294}}

It's hard to get a picture of the front bed that shows everything. So I tried to do this panorama by using 'photomerge' - I'm not sure how well it's going to display here. IT MADE THE TEXT WRAP SO i'VE MOVED IT TO A SEPARATE THREAD - SEE LINK!

The Heptacodium tree beside the bench has lots of buds but it doesn't (usually) bloom until September when the Monarch butterflies are migrating through here. The Monarchs swarm the tree! They roost in the old cedar behind it at night. Given the reports of a poor Monarch season this year, I don't know what we'll be seeing this fall....

Going down the grass path by the garage and around the corner leads you to the north alley garden. One of the 'still to come' plants I forgot about was the Epatorium 'Chocolate' that will bloom in Ocober. They're the dark-leafed plants along the house:
{{gwi:197343}}

We cut back the variegated 'Harlequin' honeysuckle on the fence early in the summer to rejuvenate it - but it looks like we may have killed it! But this honeysuckle is still doing nicely:
{{gwi:265295}}

The backyard from a distance looks pretty much the same for most of the summer. When the leaves change color in the fall, it will become more colorful.
{{gwi:196861}}

This view is of the north side of the shed - most of these trees and shrubs have good fall color (and don't look too bad now either!) The 'golden path' area is close by here.

The 'Blushing Bride' hydrangeas aren't really blocking access to the shed....
{{gwi:265296}}

The path to the left of the shed leads to the 'wet corner' - which isn't too wet at the moment! The Kirengeshoma are not happy this year - usually there are lots of flowerstalks but there aren't many this year (they are just begining to show color) so most of what is visible is just hydrangeas.
{{gwi:265297}}

Going back to the frontyard via the south alley...

The big Paul Farges clematis on the fence is starting to bloom:
{{gwi:265298}}

On the opposite side a Rose of Sharon shrub (pruned relatively flat to the wall so as not to block the path!) is in bloom:
{{gwi:265299}}

The window you can see in that picture is of the room where I'm sitting in to type this. The best view of the Paul Farges clematis is from looking out that window!

End of WALAT pictures....

Here is a link that might be useful: MISSING PANORAMA PICTURE

Comments (24)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH