SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
civ_iv_fan

trying to figure out a front yard tree(s) for a smallish lot

civ_IV_fan
12 years ago

my house faces basically due west. in the afternoon, rooms against the front of the house get pretty warm, the glasses is physically hot to the touch. never mind the damage that the sun does to the house paint, etc.

for these reasons, and because i hope it would look good, i'd like to add a tree to the front yard. we have a smallish city lot.

you can see from the picture below that our neighbor has an old maple. it isn't looking so good and i will be surprised if it is standing in 10 or 15 years. it also offers almost no shade to us, because of the way the sun comes down. it offers lots of shade to his house, to give you an idea of the sun direction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Our lot BEGINS where the white picket fence ENDS. so the yellow flowers are ours but the bush to the left is the neighbors. the lot line runs at an angle back and to the left: the playset in the background is on our property.

{{gwi:384571}}{{gwi:384573}}{{gwi:384575}}{{gwi:384577}}

If you click the picture it will take you to an album with nice full-size versions.

Does anyone have any suggestions both on species and placement? I feel like the house is decent looking so I wouldn't want the focus to be on a monster tree.

We will be in the house a long time. The site is basically full sun with some morning shade.

Comments (14)