SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

My no spray report on chinas, hybrid musks and bourbons

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

THese categories seemed easy to combine. I would like any opinions or suggestions about these roses.

Chinas

1. Archduke Charles - good rose, but quite small

2. Arethusa - good rose. The blooms shatter quickly.

3. Caldwell Pink - This rose is polyantha, but Pink Pet seems to be the real name, and it is a china. The rose is small and full. The blooms are small, but they glow. The color is intense, but not gawdy. I really like the rose. Dead heading is easy since the blooms come right off if you slide your two fingers down the stem. I have three in a bed with other roses, and like them more every day.

4. Carnation - new, and good in my yard. The blooms are pretty.

5. Cramoisi Superieur. This rose is perhaps my favorite rose. It is a large bush and usually loaded with blooms. The blooms are very red, but the color seems to have a blend of color with a white glow on the inside that never looks white when you look closely at the rose.

6. Ducher. The old one is very pretty, and the two new ones have taken off very well.

7. Louis Philippe. I have two of these, and they are far from Cramoisi Superieur. They could not be more different from CS. They are smaller and bloomm less. (know that the roses could be the same, but these are not the same rose.)

8. Martha Gonzalez. I simply don't like this rose and I

have 4 of them in the front of the house by the mail box. It always gets powdery mildew, and then loses the leaves. The bushes are full again, but it takes too much time for them to regrow their leaves. It is very difficult to dead head, and will not bloom well if they are not dead headed. They never get large enough to use clippers on them, and even if it did, the blooms are not just sitting on the outside of the bushes ready to get clipped. The rose is good and healthy, but just annoying to me.

9. Spice. I have two of them, and they get prettier each year.

Hybrid Musks

1. Ballerina. These roses may adjust to a no spray garden, but are not quite as adaptable as I had thought. I hope they will adjust. I would like opinions on these from those of you who never spray.

2. Bubble Bath. New, and very pretty

3. Erfurt. It is very pretty, and not huge

4. Penelope. Penelope is a good rose. I pla

ced them in a good space by accident, and they grow quite well.

Bourbon

1. Souvenir de la Malmaison. I have 7 of this rose, and love it.

2. Souvenir de St. Annes - I is very pretty, and very different from SDLM.

3. Maggie. I have about 4 Maggies, and they are very pretty, but do get quite a bit of black spot.

Sammy

Comments (33)