SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

the downsides of large roses in small gardens

User
9 years ago

I have been ignoring many of my roses now they are out of their glory season but alas, ignoring is no longer possible since walking from one end of the allotment to the other requires Kevlar, nerve and a willingness to tread all over the vegetable crops. To say it is a jungle is an understatement, made worse by my failure to even attempt deadheading, pruning and generally tidying up. A demoralising and wretched sight.....but I am donning a thick work shirt and my leather trousers (despite a 'boiling hot' english summer day of 80F or so) and taking my loppers to the plot.....we will have paths again....and the roses WILL look like decent shrubs rather than some apocalyptic nightmare of canes, rust and blackspot (our non-winter has meant a terrible summer of snails, slugs, disease....... Might even enrage my allotment neighbours with a bonfire.......

And, sigh, the berry picking and jelly time has arrived....so backbreaking scrabbling in the currants and stirring and sweating over supersized preserving pans awaits.....making a bit of clearing and hacking seem quite therapeutic.

Comments (36)