SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Downsides of over-fertilizing?

jeffcat
14 years ago

Lately, I have been hyperfertilizing my roses for their upcoming 2nd flush. Typically, I put down 2 cups of rosetone every month, and water every 2 weeks with half diluted Miracle Gro rose fertilizer.

Well lately, I have been adding the Miracle Gro rose fertilizer every week at half dilution on top of the rosetone and what not. Obviously burning is always an issue, but so far none of my roses have had this problem or have had any visual problems.....in fact quite the contrary. My question is are there any problems with roses growing TOO vigorously? My Pat Austin is absolutely EXPLODING with growth. I've had 5 new canes break from the base and get about 3.5ft tall, EVERY 5 leaf set had a new breaking bud, AND the odd part to me is the NEW growth from those 5 leaf sets had new bud breaks on the already new growth. I mean, I am absolutely astonished as how many breaks I am getting......it's almost scary. The same goes for my WS2000 although the canes are not as long, but the new growth is phenomenal and it has tons of buds that will be ready for bloom in a couple days(I cut the last of the 1st flushes blooms off a week ago). The same goes for my Zephirine Drouhin and Graham Thomas. Even my Red and White Eden are blooming and sending out new canes. New Dawn hasn't been growing for me surpisingly, but continously blooms. All of my roses are 1st year roses from buying them in pots at the local nursery.

Are there any risks associated with all this new growth? I was wondering if it may cause the rose to grow out of control or out of character such as a lateral cane having too much growth to support it. Thanks.

Comments (15)