SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_brant

Options for small-yard composting?

Tracy Brant
16 years ago

Two related questions:

FIRST: I have a small city yard and little room for a real compost pile, so all summer I've been putting yard waste into milk crates. I now have a stack of four large crates full of "dried stuff" - and I haven't even begun fall clean-up.

I trench-composted my garbage, so the crated stuff isn't wet, except for rain sprinkling through it. I didn't shred at all - just dropped it all in whole. Not much grass in it. I doubt it got hot.

What can I do to turn it into actual compost for spring? Could I dump it into a garbage bag with a little water and let it cook in there? Or would I be better off piling the stuff right on the back sidewalk, with no bagging? I have loose bricks and I could make something like a bin for it.

SECOND: I don't have trees, but some neighbors do, and I want to hijack leaves to compost - how can I make that happen without a shredder? What if I just bagged up leaves and let them sit all winter and spring? Would they compost in the bags? Can I make leaf compost without shredding?

{{gwi:310054}}

(Excuse the ugly background - my neighbor is slowly digging up his backyard for a patio, and the plywood keeps his dirt/weeds from coming through the fence. Mostly.)

Comments (17)