SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Sweetbay Magnolia, Zone 5 ideas.

amccour
14 years ago

I'm aware these are only fully hardy through zone 6, although I've seen them growing about as far north in Findlay in Ohio -- I think. They look like M. Virginiana, to the best of my knowledge the other similar look magnolias are LESS reliable in Zone 5, and in any case, and they definitely flower in June so they're not from the Yulania group like most of the magnolias you see around here. They're generally in pretty sheltered locations. Anyway, I picked a young one up today because it was *incredibly* cheap for some reason and I figured it's worth a shot.

I'm thinking if I plant it in my front yard it should be fairly well protected. We've got some other things growing there -- some kind of Liquidambar and... Kniphofia uvaria? -- and they do pretty well even though they're not supposed to be reliably hardy to Zone 5.

Anyway, as I said, it was stupidly cheap so if it dies I'm not out anything, but what other things could I do to help winterize it It's still small, so I don't know if I'd want to try overwintering it somewhere really protected for awhile (I don't know if my garage would work. I've overwintered stuff in there before and it's done fine, but the fact that m. virginiana can be evergreen in the south makes me wonder what sort of dormancy needs it has).

On one side of my house we have a heat outlet from the dryer, by the way. Could that work or would that just fry it?

Comments (4)