SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

causes for an ornamental tree to fruit

katrina1
15 years ago

All the promo documentation I have seen since 2006 about my tree cultivar says its fruiting potential is slight, and that it will produce only non, or very few insignifant fruits.

This tree is an Ornamental Prunus persica 'Corinthian Pink' cultivar.

Last year after planting my first one in 2007, it produced only pea sized nobs that fell off after having grown very little before they fell off without creating any noticable debris on the ground.

This Spring, after all the trees in our area had been stressed by a freezing rain event over the winter, my ornamental tree has produced nearly full sized fruits. I first thought that the fruit might be growing big, because, earlier when I saw so many forming on the tree, I pulled a lot of them off. I was wondering if the remaining ones only got big because I handled the fruiting of this ornamental tree like one would handle a non ornamental fruiting peach tree.

Then I noticed that the three new Corinthian peach trees I had planted this spring have, at this point, also produced nearly golf ball sized hard peaches.

What is causing this ornamental tree to produce such significant fruit crop.

I have a friend who also planted three of these same trees at her place in early spring this year. Hers too have fruited more significantly than the cultivar has been reported to have the potential to fruit.

I posted this question on the fruits and orchards forum, but got no response from anyone familiar with growing this tree. Thinking that would not be too unusual, since my tree is not supposed to be a fruiting tree; I am now wondering if someone in the trees forum might know the answer to my question.

Comments (9)