SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

how to balance out one's rose garden organically...

serenasyh
14 years ago

Hi, this is actually a post for Karl especially! and for NewYorkRita and others who have been successfully able to grow beautiful organic gardens... I am also posting to help new-starters like myself who are trying to go the organic route...

Everyone talks about attracting birds, bumblebees, ladybugs, lacewings etc. but what I need is concrete examples of what you all are planting near your roses to discourage insect attacks and what you are planting near your roses to attract birds... A layout, name descriptor of plants would be tremendously helpful...

My front yard roses look very pristine, but I think it's because they don't have gladiolus near them? My backyard roses look equally vital and healthy but they are! attacked by thripes on occasion and sometimes on a day or two I will suddenly get a swarm of aphids attacking a few choice leaves, especially before the rains...The backyard is surrounded by a forest of gladiolus. What a boo-boo that was! I had no idea how fast and wide they grow. The gladiolus seem in good shape, many are free from any sort of holes...so I am quite mystified as to how to deal with why my backyard roses are a target instead of the front yard and what I can possibly do to get my garden organically balanced...

Also, should I even try to order/import beneficial insects like the ladybugs...? I live in a poisonous neighborhood where everyone sprays ant-killers, grub killers, etc. etc. I've never seen a bumblebee or honeybee in my neighborhood either for years!... I'm afraid if I order beneficial insects, they may die off eventually from the surrounding houses right next to me...have any of you tried mail-ordering beneficial insects?

P.S. I normally would have posted on the organics forum, but I am hoping that this post can also help people who are straddling the fence as to whether or not to grow organically.

Comments (32)