SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

English cottage garden in hot, dry California

rosefolly
14 years ago

Back from my recent trip visiting gardens in England I am inspired to improve my garden. That is what travel is for isn't it, to improve and expand us? The issue of course is water. It doesn't rain here for six months of the year, and when we don't get our full 15 inches of rain for the year, we have to cut back on irrigation. There is an area I water once a week (front garden and vegetables), but other areas are watered every two, every three, or every four weeks.

Off our side porch is a garden with the clever name of the Porch Garden. Presently it has mostly roses, but also one daphne odora and one santolina, along with lots of compost and mulch. It's actually difficult to photograph due to slope, but here's a bit of it showing the wide empty spaces between the roses.

{{gwi:253645}}

Anyway, I propose to fill in the empty spaces in the foreground with perennials that like heat and are reasonably happy with infrequent watering. The daphne and the santolina ought to like that just fine. I plan to add some lavenders, fernleaf yarrows, perennial salvias, penstemons, agastaches and perhaps a well-behaved artemesia. (Not Silver King. I know all about Silver King.) All are to be soft or deep cool colors, no dazzling oranges, scarlets, or strong yellows. Also nothing too aggressive in growth. I'm considering a dwarf Russian sage that is said not to spread by underground roots. I'm looking at Annie's Annuals, Bluestone Perennials, and High Country Gardens for suitable plants. I've been checking out lists of plants that are drought tolerant, and lists of plants that need only monthly watering once well-established.

If anyone else has done something similar to this -- and I'm sure many have -- I would enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Rosefolly

Comments (16)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional