SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

California cottage garden: the transformation begins

rosefolly
14 years ago

Recently I posted a note about being inspired by the gardens of friends in England, Jon of Wessex for one and our hostess Joan for another. I love the lush, full look of their gardens with roses interplanted with perennials. That is what I do with my Front Garden. In the interests of saving water, I have treated other areas differently.

Here are two views of my Porch Garden, a sloped hillside planting off the side porch, with roses pruned after the spring flush and mulch on the ground.

Facing the house:

{{gwi:296034}}

Looking up from the lower slope:

{{gwi:296035}}

It is pretty when the roses are in bloom, but rather bleak just now.

I have already begin the transformation. Here are three anchusas and three penstemons, appropriately planted in gopher cages as you can see.

{{gwi:296036}}

Other than the roses I am planting a selection of drought-tolerant salvias, penstemons, irses, agastaches, echinacea, sedum, veronica incana, phlomis, lavenders, santolina, perovskia, artemesia, and achillea 'Moonshine'. Once established, this garden will only be watered biweekly.

The sages, which I thought would be the easiest, were instead quite tricky to select. Many want regular water and every two weeks would not be adequate. Most of those that don't require it, don't want any summer water at all. That would not suit the roses too well. I settled on greggii, macrophyla, and pratensis, with a munzii and a spathacea as an experiment.

In case anyone else is inspired to try something like this, my plant sources were Annie's Annuals, Bluestone Perennials, High Country Gardens, and a variety of better local nurseries.

And one more thing -- I am making generous use of gopher cages!

Rosefolly

Comments (15)