SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

What are your most prolific Austins? OR similar style non-Austin?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Which roses, out of the overwhelming variety of David Austin roses out there are the most prolific bloomers for you?

AND/OR
What roses and/or type or rose in this similar cupped/full style of rose is the most reliable bloomer for you?

Also, if it is fragrant, that is a MAJOR plus!

I live in zone 7, but almost right on the line with zone 6, but post for whatever zone you want because there are readers out there always looking for new suggestions. I am thinking medium to small sizes right now, mostly for containers or small garden beds, but I still want to hear about any and every size/shape for future reference, (I am hoping to get a fence by next year, and then hoping to plant some climbers after that!)

I only ask about Austins in particular because I better understand that variety as I have read a lot about them, & I own several at this point, I kind of know what to expect. I know they are kind of looked down on some for being the "big mac and fries" of the Antique style rose world, but I do enjoy the ones I have quite a bit, so I will continue to collect them, there are so many color choices after all! I do have an interest in learning about the other options out there, however, when it comes to other Antique roses, there are so many different types and exotic names that I get a little overwhelmed, and often will just end up sticking to what I know instead of branching out. So, if there are any you especially love & perform very well for you and are at least moderately easy to care for (I'm still pretty novice), please share your recommendations with me!

& one more thing, if you know of any non-austins that are in the yellow/orange/peach OR red/purple color families & are good at flowering, or are especially fragrant, I would love to hear about them! I'm looking for somewhat non- traditional colors in I suppose, but any and all color recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time!!

Jessica

Comments (29)