SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosysunnygirl

Eden: Year 3 and not even a bud

rosysunnygirl
16 years ago

What is going on here? I bought a 2-year-old, own-root, 2-gallon Eden last spring from a reputable nursery here and gave her a super-sunny, primo spot in my small back yard.

She really seems to like her home -- she's pretty healthy, didn't have a lot of winter kill (good microclimate back there), puts on nice new growth at a strong clip, she's getting tall, but not really bushy... but she hasn't even produced ONE bud. Not one. The roses all around her (even the one that's a little too close, about 18 inches) are blooming and blooming and blooming. But not Eden.

They don't get anything any different from what she does. They all live in the same soil of mushroom compost/regular compost/spagnum peat and a little clay. They all had chopped-leaf mulch over the winter. They all get water and had a little sprinkling of Rose Tone.

I don't want to shovel prune a perfectly healthy rose, but I can't have a rose that just does not bloom. Does she just take a while? Or is something wrong and it's time to give her the heave-ho?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH