SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

chicago peace

canadian_rose
12 years ago

Wow am I ever loving my Chicago Peace rose (new this year). The blooms are so large and gracefully colored. The blooms are ephemeral. I did take pictures, but I don't even know how to load the pictures into the computer. So I'll have to wait until someone in my household has time to help me.

The fragrance is amazing!!! It actually wafts. Smells something like bananas and strawberries. I'm thinking the fragrance is so nice because we've got cooler weather??? Most people don't get fragrance with CP do they?

I always want to have this rose!!!!

CArol

Comments (23)

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Can't believe your Chicago Peace is already blooming. Mine is not yet open. If you are in 3A you must be having a good spring; our spring was late, but yesterday we had summer temps in the 90s F.

I like Chicago Peace.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it was new this year. Came with buds attached. They just had to open. :)

I like it too!! It's the rose everyone comments on.

Carol :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

My various 'Peace' roses last better in the vase than on the plant. Try that, it's a good cut rose, not just for the garden. A beauty.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh that's a good idea. I don't usually cut too many roses, because they don't last very long.

I've always thought that Peace was kind of boring, why would it be such a favorite. Now I see why. Chicago Peace without the intense color would still be a glorious rose.

Carol

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

I think Peace & Chicago Peace are great roses. As long as you feed them correctly and prune them lightly.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, then mine might not be so good next year. :) Lightly prune? Winter does way more than that here. LOL

Still loving this rose. Blooms are still chugging along.

Carol

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Peace and Chicago Peace, if kept disease free by regular spray regimen, are fairly hard here in 4-B. They are not cane hardy, but they will come back without cover, usually, although they do prefer some cover.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Disease isn't a problem here. We get short summers, but the growing period is pretty worry free.

Plus, I live on an area that was scraped away by glaciers - so the ground is too rocky and filled with tree roots for roses to grow in the ground. Sounds strange, but true. So I overwiner my roses in pots in the garage.

Which one do you like better?

Carol

• mike_in_new_orleans
    12 years ago

Carol, regarding "Which one do you like better?"
    I go back and forth on that question. Both are wonderful. I actually haven't had the original Peace rose in the past decade (left it when I moved) but I think it's time to get another this coming spring.
    I bought a cheap Home Depot bareroot Chicago Peace 2 years ago and it's performing quite well for me, despite the bodybag chopped and blackened roots condition it came in. After taking the first year to establish, it now looks like a very healthy bush. Even that first year, the blooms it did produce were still beautiful.
    Now I'm wondering about Love and Peace, which is not a sport but a decendent of Peace and more boldly colored. Peace's coloring is subtle, which is why I think people may sometimes not appreciate it adequately at first. But it is always beautiful, even with variable coloring. Same with Chicago Peace. Mine has been far more pink this year than I expected; much less golden. But still very attractive. To me it is the big, full 40+ petal bloom form that works so well. It is beautiful at literally every stage of bloom.
    As for scent, I've usually been able to detect a light fragrance, but I could never say it "wafted." Maybe my nose is just inadequate. lol
    Mike

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MIke - it might be fun to collect all of the Peace varities.

I can't remember who it was, but a few years back someone posted pictures of his/her Love and Peace rose - and it was phenomenal!!!!!! You should try to search for it. I mean Holy Cow!!!!

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I've thought about doing a "Peace" collection but there seem to be quite a few and I'm not sure where I'd put them all! Would be lovely though!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Like seil, I don't have room for a Peace collection, but I have often toyed with such possibilities. I see a larger circular bed, but then can never decide which direction to go. Since most of the Peace roses are rather dramatic blends and in some ways not that different from each other, I can see about 5 dramatic blended Peaces alternating with about 5 contrasting more neutral (but beautiful) original Peaces--to keep the bed from getting too wild or clashing too badly.

On the other hand, sometimes that circular bed is packed with all dramatically blended Peaces varieties and descendents --for a really loud and wild effect--kinda like pappu's in-your-face hedges (if you haven't ever seen them, search for pappu's pictures in the Rose Gallery--Wowsers!).

Just can't decide. Guess it's a good thing I have no room for another rose bed, huh?

Kate

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are there really that many? LOL
    Peace
    Chicago Peace
    Flaming Peace
    Love and Peace

What others? :)
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Desert Peace
    Pink Peace
    Perfect Peace
    Prince of Peace
    Red Peace

May be others for all I know. There are a number that also have Peace as part of their names, but they aren't really sports or descendents of the original Peace rose.

Kate

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot Pink Peace - I've always wanted that rose. Wonder if it's even better than Chicago Peace.

Never heard of the other ones.

Carol

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

HelpMeFind lists over 5000 descendants of Peace. Yikes! No one would have room for them all! I'd like to just sort for the ones in commerce - probably only a couple hundred then!

The first 30 or so in the first generation (only 360 of those) come up in Russian lettering ... too much info for me. Some are multiple names for the same plant. Most of course do not have 'peace' in the name. Garden Party, Allspice, Iowa Belle, Leonidas, Sterling Silver, all first generation Peace descendants. Tropicana and Angel Face are second generation (over 600 of those). Day Breaker is third generation (over 1100).

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Pink Peace is intensely fragrant and quite pretty, but avoid it if rust is an issue where you garden as it is highly susceptible to rust. If you like stripes and don't care about the rust issue, try Candy Stripe, the striped sport of Pink Peace. It is a gorgeous stripe! Several photos on HMF are obviously mis attributed, being either Scentimental or Modern Times, not Candy Stripe. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Stripe

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes!!! Peace is definitely an important rose then!!

Rust isn't an issue here. We're pretty dry. I didn't know that Candy Stripe was a sport of Pink Peace. Is Pink Peace a sport itself or an offspring. If it's a sport then Candy Stripe is a sport of a sport. Wow that's a gorgeous rose!!!!!!!! Does it have fragrance too?

Carol

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Pink Peace is a seedling of Peace. (Peace X Monique) X (Peace X Mrs. John Laing). Candy Stripe is a sport of Pink Peace. Yes, it is intensely fragrant. Kim

• nastarana
    12 years ago

If you like Chicago Peace you would love Peaceport and Flaming Peace, both on VG's current availability list, and likely not available anywhere after VG closes.

Lucky Piece is IMHO, not as attractive as other family members and seems not to be available unvirused.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh man, I want Pink Peace and Candy Stripe!!!! I loooove pink roses.

I've never heard of Peaceport or Lucky Piece. Peaceport is really beautiful too. Unfortunately I don't order roses that have to be mailed to me. The greenhouses near me offer a fantastic variety - so I take pot luck. I can't wait to see their list for 2012.

Carol

• roseseek
    12 years ago

My old Pink Peace and Candy Stripe were Week's bare roots I bought back in the mid 1980s. The "good old days", when there were nurseries all over the Los Angeles area who still sold them BARE in boxes of saw dust. Week's even produced Radiance budded and bare root in those days. Other than rust and an occasional bout of mildew, they were beautiful roses. If you like stripes, also take a look at Banner, the striped sport of Charlotte Armstrong. Like a huge striped Camellia with prickles and Charlotte's mildew.

Modern Times is the striped sport of Better Times, a famous old florist rose out of Columbia. If you can find Red and White Glory or Candy Stick, they are identical to Modern Times. Columbia sported to Briarcliff, named for the greenhouses who introduced it. Briarcliff sported further to Better Times, named in hopes that the more marketable color would lead to better times. When Better Times sported to stripes, they named it in honor of Charlie Chaplin's movie, "Modern Times". Red and White Glory/Candy Stick also sported from Better Times, only decades later for J. Benjamin Williams. After growing both for many years side by side, it was obvious they are identical. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Times

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I had Pink Peace and loved it's blooms but it black spotted terribly and didn't winter well either.