SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rainbowrose_gw

First Year Rose Pics

rainbowrose
12 years ago

New member LONG time reader.I started out looking for varieties i could try in my zone 5 "garden" on the Internet and came across garden web about three years ago.Last year i ordered bare roots from three sources quite late in the year.

I ordered from J&P-Close out sale,Jungs-Close Out Sale and Pickering three plants from ea.Also picked up some very cheap $2-4.oo bare roots from BIG Lots & Aldi in March.All Hybrid teas and a few climbers.Lost several over last summer and winter.I do have a few impressive plants from the discount store finds.

This year I Got 18 plants mostly OGR,Austins and a few shrubs from Pickering with money saved all winter.Plants come in with smaller canes than what i got from J&P and Jungs but have way more of them and the plants grow fast and bushy.

With Info from the forum I plant all bud unions 4-6 inches deep and mounded some soil for the winter.The only plants i lost over the winter were small discount hybrid teas.

I don't spray and do have lots of what i guess are rose slug damage on some varieties.Lots of weeds also.No budget for mulch yet.

Big Big Thanks for members pics,info and videos(Jeffcat)

{{gwi:293055}}

Golden Celebration Planted May 2010 Rabbit pruned down to the ground over winter.

{{gwi:293056}}

John Cabot Hardy to the tips Planted June 2010

{{gwi:293057}}

{{gwi:293058}}

$4.00 Blaze Planted March 2010 Hardy to tips.

Thanks again

Comments (9)