SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sybl_gw

Butchered holly tree--Help!

sybl
11 years ago

My new neighbor, without our knowledge, did a bad job on our holly trees on his side. He obviously had it surveyed (stakes) and then crossed over the line 3-5 ft., depending on the tree, and cut the back sides of our hollys to small stubs (2-6"). From our side, it looks okay--just thin (there went the privacy we had). His side looks horrid.

I want to know if there might be some limb/foliage regeneration from the trunk. I've seen this done to some wonderful old oaks and the poor things regenerated small stems and foliage all over the tree (then died).

They are Ilex opaca 'Dan Fenton' and were planted 57 years ago. They were truly lovely and all other neighbors used them to their advantage since they were also beautiful from their side. We are shocked and astounded at the mess they made, but our biggest concern is for our hollies.

Do we have hope of regeneration of limbs and foliage?

All arborists we talk with don't want to get involved in case this gets nasty. I don't think it will at all. All we are getting from arborists is "uh, duh..." We just want to know how this is going to effect our trees. Please help if you can!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting