SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jowall22

Need Advice for My Sprouting Oak Trees

John Wallace
12 years ago

My parents are moving, and last fall, I went and collected a bunch of acorns from their magnificent trees. I know that I have red oaks, and I'm not 100% sure about the others, but I believe they are Shingle Oaks and Water Oaks.

I planted the acorns about 3-4 weeks ago, After the squirrels got a bunch the first couple of nights and I moved the rest inside my screened porch, 8 have survived and sprouted(I tried a bunch of sycamores, but failed miserably with those).

I now do not know what to do as they grow bigger. My red oaks, in particular have now gotten some size to them, 1 is about 9 inches tall and the other is about 6 inches tall. They are both planted in 2 gallon pots, in about 9 inches of soil or so.

The waters and the shingles have just sprouted and are only 2-3 inches tall, BUT I know the story with oaks and their taproots - well, I know that they grow long and deep and you can't see that growth on top.

So here are my main concerns:

1) The taproot what is the next step and when so that I don't damage the taproot and/or stunt the growth of the tree, BUT I'm worried about transplanting it to the outside too early where it will get a) eaten or b) burned up by the sun

2) Now that the red oaks are starting to get bigger, I can tell they are searching for the sun. The biggest one is starting to lean in the direction of the sun out the screened in porch. Again, I worry about what to do next and when so as not to damage the tree by getting it a) eaten or b) burned up by the sun.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to upload pictures of the trees.

Comments (5)