SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte_laughlin_gw

storm-damaged live oak

charlotte_laughlin
14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with saving a severely storm-damaged live oak?

May 8, a severe windstorm ripped out the top of my beautiful old live oak; it must be 4-feet across at the base. About five feet up, it forked into two huge limbs, each about 2 feet across; both of those were ripped off. There's no leaf left on the tree, but the bark of the trunk is undamaged and before the storm the tree was otherwise very healthy--no wilt, no pests, no rot. There's about 2 or 3 feet of each of the forked limbs left, so the total height is maybe 8 feet now. The stumps of the forked limbs don't have much bark damage.

We've had a lot of rain since May 8, so what's left of the tree is well watered, and it's not in direct sun, so the 96-degree weather today shouldn't have been too hard on it. (We're in another storm tonight, so tomorrow's high should be 78 degrees.)

I've emailed and left a phone message with the nearest certified arborist, so maybe I'll hear from him tomorrow. But I was wondering if anyone knows of a live oak with the entire top gone being saved. I asked the tree service man here if it could be saved, and he said he didn't think so because the sap was rising this time of year, so I agreed for him to cut it as near to the ground as possible. But he kept putting off doing the work so the trunk is still standing. Maybe his delay will turn out to be fortunate.

I also wonder if anyone can recommend a certified arborist in Central Texas. The tree is in Brownwood and the nearest certified arborist I've found is in Waco.

Comments (3)