SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Wind damaged Live Oak tree

This is my first time here on this forum, HI I have some tree questions. Usually I just let them do their thing. I am out in the country of Central Texas and treasure my small escarpment live oaks. It is fairly arid here and things grow very slowly so changes are taken knowing that change will not be a quick rebound.

We had 2 tornado vortexes go over our house (on Nexrad radar)during a storm 2 weeks ago. We sustained 70MPH winds for about 45 minutes. Very scary but really, we only lost 8 trees on 17 acres and most were Mountain Ashe Junipers far from our buildings. BUT There is one LIve Oak with a decided list right over our "bridge" between buildings. It was much closer to vertical before. I noticed a break in the base by the roots on the "obtuse" angle of the list. I also see that the ground is lifting up maybe 6-8". Pictures below. I have a 700 lb caldron filled wit Heavy gravely soil and rocks on top of the ground on that side and I think that it might have pinned a key root and stopped the tree from totally falling over.

My husband is fearful that it is endangering the railing and bridge. He is "leaning towards cutting the whole tree down. I would like to save it. We have not a huge amount of none cedars on this property. And I like the tree..

I am thinking of taking off some branches on the side that leans to minimize the weight on that side to restore a balance of sorts. Also it is quite a bit lower since the angle of the dangle has changed and I need more headroom on the walkway.I think I will cut soon. We are entering into the heat of the summer which is an appropriate time in relation to Live oak decline spread.

That is the least that I will do. What suggestions from people out there. What should I do about the lifting soil. Should I try to ram some dirt into the void? Tap from above and push the soil down and then add more soil onto. Or do I leave it and let Nature do the rest. We have decided not to cut down the tree for a couple of months (if we do) to see what the condition of the tree is. Anny suggestions and knowledge is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:389764}}

Break at base of tree

{{gwi:389765}}

Raised buckled dirt and root mass

{{gwi:389766}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022