SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kikifoow

Composting questions (after reading 50 posts)

kikifoow
14 years ago

VERY glad I found this place! Have done some great reading and learned a lot in the last couple of days. I would appreciate it if the composting experts could answer some basic questions (to me anyway) to make sure I am on the right track.

Our soil (for want of a better term) is basically a really bad clay. I have a "side yard" that somebody decided to "amend" by adding a huge amount of pea gravel to (I assume the idea was to help drainage, which of course doesn't work by just throwing rocks onto clay). I now want to fix this area and get some vegie gardens going, ready to plant next spring (working on a greenhouse for winter but thats another set of questions).

I have access to horse manure and have started bringing some in ready to add to the soil. So my questions are:

1> Can I use some of the horse manure as a "base" for a compost pile, and add lawn clipping to it as well as our regular vegetable compost? Or am I better to only use the vegetable compost with the manure and skip the clippings (there are only 2 of us so not huge amounts of vegetable compost)

2> Should I not add the manure to the pile at all and just stick to veges and lawn clippings? (I can dig the manure directly into the clay soil with a neighbours rototiller)

3> How can I also get a pile to "topsoil" made that I can put on my lawns (which were planted directly onto the clay soild with little/no amending)?

Thank you all!

Comments (15)