SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Adolescent warm-climate OGR's

sherryocala
11 years ago

I think immature teas, noisettes and Chinas are exactly analogous to young human beings. Just as toddlers, pre-teens and teenagers do not remotely resemble the adults they will grow into, roses go through stages that do not at all indicate what the mature bush will be. Of course, we don't look at our boy toddler or 10-year-old and say, "Arghh! You don't look like a 175-lb man with bulging muscles, beard-whiskers and deep voice, so I'm throwing you out." That is a ridiculous thought, but we do it with roses because at least in the cases of us newbies we have no clue what a muscular, whisker-faced, deep-voiced tea rose bush looks like. We are really winging it, and typical of anyone who is fairly new at something our insecurities drive us into blaming our poor gardening skills or a "bad clone" for the unexpected, unforeseen condition of the rose.

Early on I had a Duchesse de Brabant that grew all to one side for two and a half years like a leaning Statue of Liberty in a scorching hot spot in the garden. It looked awful, and the gardener was embarrassed. Adding to the awkwardness was the lack of foliage so that she looked invisible to the camera, making it impossible to show off my baby. Along about the middle of the third year she was suddenly round and 5'x5' - how did that happen? - but still sparsely leafed. Unfortunately, by then my mind was set to not liking her, and in October I gave her away. Of course, she immediately became beautiful in the new garden. Before I dug her up I took two cuttings, both took, and I potted them up and set them in the cooler pot ghetto. When they bloomed, they looked gorgeously different than the bush had looked in the ground, so I decided to plant one on the east side of the garden (and gave away the other). This baby is in her second season probably in a little too much shade. In the first year her few thin, squiggly canes were practically on the ground, but I ignored her, knowing not to get antsy about her. This year there hasn't been much change until the last month. She now has one new thicker vertical cane ending in a blooming candelabra of typically beautiful DdB flowers with fragrance. It's about three and a half feet tall, so she has a long way to go, but it was an enlightening moment.

The first couple of years of the garden I was out with a magnifying glass and Sherlock Holmes cap examining every nuance of the bushes, and then I stopped doing that, thinking myself a more mature gardener no longer hyper-ventilating over the details. However, I feel like I have missed some of the adolescent aspects of the roses, so again I'm reacting in my old knee-jerk fashion, thinking this and that rose HAVE to go. I forget or never knew that seasonal conditions are not static. In addition to normal growing pains there are the after-effects of harsh weather conditions like the 20-degree nights at the end of a very warm winter and roses filled with lush new growth. Perhaps dead canes weren't the end of it. Perhaps the plants suffered in ways that were not visible and are still recovering.

All this is to bring us to my point. Unless the bush is dead or dying, is three or four years of growth something to be shoveled out of the ground? Or is this a time for the exercise of REAL gardening patience? Is this where the rubber meets the road and we get down to the nitty gritty of allowing nature to just BE? Am I looking at a defective rose plant or merely the suddenly big teenage nose and pimples of my adolescent bushes? Have I prematurely judged the ugly-duckling stage of an immature rose as a loser before it has had time to become the over-21 adult? And how different will the young adult be when he's a solid late-twenties guy?

The bottom line is that this idiot-gardener has the power of life and death in her hands without the wisdom needed to wield it judiciously. And she should STOP wielding it until she's gotten wiser. Perfect and beautiful teenage swans are the exceptions, and they aren't teas, Chinas and Noisettes. In my garden they're the polys like Clotilde Soupert and the early HT's like Mme Abel Chatenay. The teas are a totally different story. At three and four years old they have much more maturing to do. They are like the 13-year-old boy standing next to his 20-year-old cousin, and how many 30-year-olds don't in the least resemble their yearbook picture? Tea roses are deceptive, and this gardener has been too gullible.

Yes, I WISH there was a way to make these roses put out more basal growth faster. This business of 2 or 3 canes - or less - per year makes for very slow progress and the real likelihood of prejudging these plants long before they become what is in their nature to be. I WISH those canes would put out lateral growth sooner, but here's the kicker. I wouldn't have even known to wish that if I hadn't just seen Maman Cochet, doubling the number of her canes this spring and adding shoots off of them in the last couple of weeks. Suddenly her structure is beginning to bulk up - three and half years later. She can even be seen in a photo now without massive zoom. It is a thing to behold as it happens before my very eyes. They said it would happen. I hoped it would happen. I kept the faith with her, and it is paying off.

This tea rose gardening thing is not like plopping an azalea in the ground. They do not shoot out a bunch of canes early on and simply get taller and fatter with time. They put all of their energy of a season into one or two canes, and then it takes all of the energy of those canes to do it again the next year and the next and the next. And please don't cut them, they don't like it. Leave them be. And hold onto your hat and your impulses to intervene and/or give up. Sometimes it will be two steps forward and one step back. It will look like no progress is being made except in the wrong direction. Raising teas is a lifetime commitment - like kids. But unlike kids we didn't know that going in. Our minds had not accepted the fact that this was going to be a progression of years and not weeks or even months. If you're growing young tea roses, chill with me. These kids are gonna take a while.

Sherry

P.S. Apologies to those of you whose experience has been different, and I wish I had your garden. To all of you others - hang in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (23)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Such wise words, Sherry. Your comments caused me to go through my (long) list of discarded roses again to see how many roses I had discarded because of the factors you mention. Fortunately there were only a few. In my ignorance I had planted a number of noisettes in conditions that were brutally hot. I transplanted only one since I had no room for the others and that one is also gone since it was a mildew magnet and was also planted too close to a pepper tree. Jean Bach Sisley and Mme. Charles I should have kept but both were in difficult locations and I had no better places to put them. All in all, what I regret most is not replanting rather than discarding my two bushes of Janet. Out of over 80 discarded roses that's not too bad. Fortunately my tea roses were a bit more forthcoming in growth and didn't have quite the growing pains you describe. I'm glad you had the patience and wisdom to hang in there with most of yours and have now reaped the benefit of seeing them come to beautiful maturity. There's something so magnificent about a big, mature tea rose in all its glory, covered with hundreds of blooms. There's a genuine pride in having seen them grow to this stage and witnessing the younger, less spectacular years that led to this.

Ingrid

• User
    11 years ago

I think this is even more noticeable for thiose of you who grow roses on their own roots. In Europe grafted roses are the norm so it has been an education for me, growing roses from cuttings, how long they take. Sometimes, they spend their cutting year and another 2 whole years getting potted on before even going in the ground, and then there is still another couple of years before any sort of maturity can be seen. So, all-in-all, it means a wait of around 4 years whereas a bare root rose can be planted in autumn and blooming in its first summer (although this is ignoring the fact that the understock has been doing the growing in someone else's field before it gets a sight of a bud. After gardening for a few years, there is always something new coming on - if we just had to twiddle our thumbs for the 5 years to grow a paeony or a lily from a seed, none of us would bother. The trick is to keep a cycle going and before you are even aware, a few years have rolled by and the little seedling is now a stonking great bush. Curiously, my problem is the opposite of yours, Sherry, as I tend to forget just how much and how big a plant is going to get and have a terrible tendency to overcrowd and stuff. Already, this summer, I have had to brutally dig great swathes of helenium, phlox, hemerocallis to allow the swollen roses some breathing space. Worse, digging in enclosed spaces usually means a piecemeal removal of large perennials which are then no good for anything other than compost (because obviously, I am doing this now instead of spring or autumn when everything (heat, light, effort, size)was on my side except for any sense of long-range vision which always deserts me in the blank winter season of bare earth and walking space.

• Related Discussions

best repeating Austins for warm climates

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi Harmonyp: Per your question of where I get my Sonia Rykiel from? I got mine in April from Roses Unlimited in NC. But Vintage Gardens closer to you has it too. Sonia Rykiel likes it wet, then it blooms like mad. It came in the mail as a gallon-size with 2 blooms. When I put it in pot, it got 10+ blooms for 1st flush. Then our temp. hit 90's and I forgot to water the pot, it broke out in rust .... that's the first time I saw rust in Illinois! When I put it in my alkaline clay, zero rust henceforth. I'll move it to a wetter spot for more blooms. Sonia Rykiel has the BEST rasp. rose scent ... that's why I gave my 5 Austins away (Pat Austin, Lilian Austin, Scepter'd Isle, Charles Darwin, Queen of Sweden) so I can baby Sonia-Rykiel & other better scent roses. Sonia Rykiel is best grown in Moisture-Control potting soil or garden soil. It lasts 4 to 5 days in the vase. It smells like raspberry rose in bud form, and at the end smells better than Double Delight. The bush is small & pretty, very low-thorn & tiny prickles. My best repeating Austin for this past hot summer near 100 degrees? Mary Magdalene is compact 1' x 1.5' in my zone 5a, thick leaves that stand up to the heat, fast repeat with many blooms, unmatched frankincense fragrance ... better than myrrh. The scent is like a cozy fireplace, better than incense in the Catholic church. It's loaded with blooms now, after our many frosts ... tomorrow is Halloween, Oct. 31. Radio Times is best-repeat for hot temp., but it's a 6' x 6' VERY THORNY bush, if not for its superb damask scent it's gone, after many painful pricks and my child's request to remove it. Below is are pics. of pink Sonia Rykiel and beige Mary Magdalene.
    ...See More

The resiliency of warm climate roses is amazing.

Q

Comments (5)
    Sherry, it's difficult for me to believe that your garden is basically sand. I'm willing to bet a lot of blood, sweat and compost/manure/amendments went into the ground for your roses to look the way they do. But you're right to give the roses credit too. They're not all created equal and the teas and chinas are definitely built for the heat. I don't know how it is for you, but the bourbons are also very eager bloomers here, at least the small ones, and have almost no disease. I've really come to believe (after discarding an appalling number of roses) that choosing the right roses may be THE most important factor in a successful hot-weather garden, although good soil and water are hugely important also. If the roses can't stand the heat, they definitely have to stay out of my kitchen! Hope to see more pictures of your garden as it is now. Ingrid
    ...See More

Best Pink OGR or Austin ? I am overwhelmed..

Q

Comments (36)
    Of the 3 Old Garden Roses you mentioned; 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' has the strongest smell, to me, of myrrh and of, mingled with, as Jeri mentioned Old Ladies Bath Powder I'd rate it 4-5 out of 10 on the fragrance strength scale. followed by Duchess de Brabant' which has a slightly less strong scent, but of fresh ripe raspberries, 3.5 to 4 out of 10. 'Le Vesuve' smells smoky to me and I wonder if it got its' name from the volcano Vesuvius, for that reason, 3 out of 10. I'd rate 'Evelyn' at 4-5 out of 10 with a mixed floral perfume scent. I've rarely seen a rose that blooms as often and as much as Le Vesuve, I too love its' "swirly" blooms which appear as gaily as butterflies frolicking. I think it would be a superb background plant for the reason that it grows very large and is nearly always in bloom. It has an interesting blend of pink and white, and the shape of the blooms are unusual, not just another pink rose. . Lux
    ...See More

Tricks for Designing with Exuberant Own Root OGRs

Q

Comments (16)
    I hear you, Flowers! If I ever decide to grow Charles again, it will be in a giant nursery pot. I think he's the biggest bully of all. Other Gallicas have been much tamer for me, although still quite assertive. I find that their degree of pushiness varies by cultivar and with soil type and climate. However, I will be punished by all my Gallicas (except some of Paul Barden's) if I don't stay on top of them every year. All heck breaks loose if I skip a year or two of shoveling rogue canes. I wish I could squeeze a backhoe into my side yard. I have to remove R gallica Officinalis and Indigo (that rambling Portland) to make room for an air conditioner. (We finally caved and are installing central air.) Good luck battling Charles! Carol
    ...See More
  • sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

True, Ingrid. Your mention of big teas made me think of my Mme Lombard. She's only a year and a half and reminds me of the picture of an ugly Christmas tree caricature. I couldn't possibly photograph her. She must be 8' across (in some directions). Two or 3 canes are going straight out very low and have branched off at the ends adding to the length plus a couple of canes about 4-1/2' tall with candalabras. It has very few leaves proportionately since they're scattered so far apart and almost no laterals yet. No one would ever think it was a rose bush. It looks like some sort of giant mutation. Someone needs to post a photo of a full grown beauty. I will laminate it and put it on a marker for encouragement and a reminder of what is coming - someday.

Sherry

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Sherry -- Our climate is different, but our experiences are identical.

We've got a lot of ground down on that hillside, so we've been able to plant things and give them time -- and time HAS been a requirement for many, if not most.

We have plants down there, now, way taller than me and bigger than some automobiles, that were, once, twigs in a bag. So I know it works, and I don't mind giving the roses the time they need.

Meanwhile, out in the "equipment yard" we have young plants just coming on, and almost ready for places in the ground. The fun begins all over again.

Jeri

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Campanula, you shared so much that I didn't know but makes perfect sense. With rooted cuttings of own-root roses we really are in a similar situation as those peony and lily seedlings. I didn't know that. Seems kind of silly now to give up on one after only a couple of years - except for some extreme situation. Believe it or not, it even took a long time for me to realize you could move a rose to a hopefully better spot rather than just yanking it. And it's an attractive thought to be able to plant a rose that has 3 years of growing already under its belt. I really appreciate this perspective. It helps. As to overplanting, I do that, too, particularly with Clotilde Soupert. She's such a small thing after spring pruning and then all of sudden she puffs up like the Pilsbury dough boy, and I go, Uh-oh.

Jeri, I had an idea that you would know exactly what I was talking about. Someone who has been growing roses as long as you have would have to have seen everything! There's no easy way to get experienced except the passage of time and paying attention, but I wanted to pass this tidbit along to those newer than me who may have been on the verge of yanking roses as I was yesterday. I needed to put on the breaks until I'm more sure there's no hope. I have roses coming, and I won't be in a hurry to find a spot. I'll grow them on so that if and when I have a sudden vacancy I'll have one to plop into the spot. Getting wiser is pretty nice.

Sherry

• odinthor
    11 years ago

I'd always wait at least five years, and more like seven, not only for Teas, but also for Damask Perpetuals and HPs and select others. One "select other" which prompts my mentioning this is the Wichuraiana hybrid 'Casimir Moulle'. In its first four years, it had exactly three blossoms . . . which were all deformed and miscolored. In its fifth year, it bloomed all over the place (it's vigorous, healthy, and has beautiful foliage too). A now-beloved 'Pergolese' took at least five or six years to come into its own (the secret: don't prune it). A foundling rose-red Tea which I got from HRG many many years ago languished for several years in sandy soil, when I thought it was some dwarfish rose-red China; I moved it to clayey soil, and it took off and became the wonderful seven-foot-high "red" Tea it is . . . whatever its identity might be. I'm finding that some Multiflora hybrids (such as 'Violette', 'Rose-Marie Viaud') seem to grow out of their chronic chlorosis, given enough years. So sometimes it's time, sometimes it's also location and culture...but giving a plant time allows it the opportunity to give you hints about where it should be and the culture it should have. The only roses I'm fairly quick to remove are those which grow too large for the available space!

• jerome
    11 years ago

This is a terrific post. Thanks so much Sherry for your wisdom.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

I bought a DdB this year and have been thinking: spindly, few leaves, canes look a weird tanish green color. Wondering if she is healthy. I had read here that teas took a few years to mature so I knew not to get too antsy. Still, I'm glad to read you post and take heart. She is in a large pot, so if after 3 years she looks puny, I'll take a cutting and plant her in my clay dirt.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Great post! I'm lucky because I have 1.5 acres and my goal is to have a sample garden that I can share with the gardening community. I have a no-spray garden with roses of every class and as long as they thrive, I don't care what they look like. My babies and adolescents can be as awkward as they want. Except for Mutabilis, I had never grown Chinas before I moved here, so I was a bit surprised at their twigginess, but I just let them do their thing. My only concession to looks is that I now put Rugosas on the front drive because they don't defoliate with BS and are in flower most of the time.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Very good words Sherry. My garden is 16 years old now. I've watched many roses grow. For me sometimes it's hard to know when to give up on a rose. Own root deffinately makes a difference. There are some roses that just don't grow well own root. I've come to realize that Teas, Noisettes, and Hybrid Musks take some time in this garden.
    Patience can really pay off. I remember my Le Pactole. I bought it in a 4 inch pot. it must have been three inches tall. Now it is a blooming monster.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Oh, 'Le Pactole' is a good example.

It not only took several years to mature, it also mildewed nastily in the process. Now it is as you say, "a blooming monster", and it's clean as can be.

That one tried my patience, and I'm glad I had the vision of the mature plant in the Sacramento City Cemetery to sustain me.

Jeri

• User
    11 years ago

oh yes, Jeri, right on the button there - it is well nigh impossible to guess the outcome from a mingy little catalogue picture - only a wise mentor and a chance to see a mature rose growing in conditions similar to yours, can really bring home what a fully grown plant can look like. It helps if you have cultivated a habit of growing outrageous annuals from seed - no-one could imagine the amount of growth a single cobaens scandens or morning glory can manage in a few short months unless you have watched the daily, almost visble growth. Woody plants take so much longer....but can grow so much bigger, it just does not seem feasible that the tiny little twiglet can, like a magic bean, be transformed into a 20metre eater of houses.
    Our local botanic garden was famous for roses, back before WW2 but has become moribund since those heady days of Dr.Hurst and Graham Thomas. Even so, a full grown Nevada still looks like a galleon in full sail - big enough for my itchy finger to hesitate over the 'add to basket' button (and get a mannerly Matchball instead).
    Oh Sherry, it is a priviledge to step back to watch the 'evolution of a gardener' in all its messy glory. Keep up the posting.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Sherry & all - what a great post! Patience IS a virtue! I am very lazy and not very into hovering over plants, etc., so I have never actually shovel pruned an OGR I didn't think was doing well - I just ignore them. That has turned out in many cases to be just the ticket! It took me a few years to figure that out, of course.

Once I rooted a Belle Portugaise from an old plant up the street. I planted it and it grew, and grew, and grew.....by the end of the fourth year I had NEVER seen even a bud on it, let alone a flower, and by this time it was about 16 feet tall. I had never heard of any rose that did not bloom at all through 4 consecutive Springs! I posted an SOS on here, and several people said things to the effect that "BP is a hybrid gigantica, and they like to get big before they bloom - feed it, and keep waiting - it is not sick or a dud". Low and behold, by the very next Spring it covered itself with the most amazing, elegant transluscent blooms, and has every Spring since, with even a few in between seasons. That is when I realized that old roses are NOT like modern roses - they are marvelous landscape plants that are like trees - long term investments in the future!

Jackie

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Odinthor, Casimir Moulle is magnificent. I wish, I wish, I wish...

Jerome, I like giving all the Wise Ones on this Forum a platform to share!!

Grandmother's Rose, I knew you were out there thinking those thoughts.

Catsrose, your 1.5 acres sounds wonderful. What a luxury! I love your Rugosas along the driveway. They must be gorgeous. Any photos?

Pam, I hope someday my garden will be 16 years old. I've given up on a handful of Teas. Do they ever outgrow veggie centers? The one that I was really wrong about was Marie d'Orleans, a totally dumb decision considering she was only a year old. My excuse was that she had no leaves and was growing oddly. Poor thing was less than 2' tall. Probably my worst garden decision.

Jeri, I wish I had room for that rose.

Campanula, "evolution of a gardener". It's so true. Four years ago I thought I'd never get this far. I just keep keepin' on.

Oh, Jackie, that's good information. I have R. Fortuniana (4 years) and Francois Juranville (3 years). They've been so underwhelming. I had the mistaken idea that after the first season they'd have old wood to bloom on and would get going. Wrong! So I'll feed and wait. Thanks.

Sherry

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Sherry - I think your words are appropriate for growers of modern roses as well. And please excuse my response here on the Antique Forum from someone who doesn't have any Antiques (do DA's or Romantica's count?) - but I like lurking here as often the posts are depthier.

My oldest roses are 3 years (perhaps 5 as a few of the first roses I purchased were already 2). My gardening experience is still so young - but even this soon, each year, I see each rose iterate into new renditions of themselves. Most get stronger and more beautiful over time. For the few that are tending in the other direction, I try to pamper them more, and determine what they are missing.

There have been a handful that I have thought about removing, but I have yet to do that to one rose (but don't ask me about the Gardenias - yanked my 2nd one today, ugh...) I'm still watching a few, and keeping a mental possible removal list, but my gut tells me to watch them and see how they do over time. Medallion, Europeana and Grand Masterpiece are watched with a skeptical eye, but all three this year have given me periods of time of complete surprise (and joy). So, I've been happy I haven't removed them. Then Proud Land has been moved, and still looks lousy, but this year I've had 2 blooms that have been stunning. So I'm glad I moved "less than Proud" Land to a background place where her overall homeliness isn't noticeable.

I'm noticing the DA's are slower growing than my HT's and Floribundas. I really watch daily with a quiet excitement, as they change and mature before me. Young Lycidas whose first canes dragged the ground, has canes that are now trying to poke up into the air. Mary Rose who spent her first year napping exploded this year.

There are roses like Purple Tiger and Barbara Streisand that are new this year, both with pretty poor reputations. PT has been doing really well for me, very small blooms, but with color combinations nothing short of brilliant. Roses like this embody hope for me, one of the most marvelous sensations of gardening.

Bolero is in her 2nd year. Her few blooms in her first year were stunning, in her diminutive year end size of about 1' x 1'. She stayed quite humble this year until a few weeks ago, and now she has gone crazy in our first heat wave of the year - cane's leaping into the air, covered in the most magnificant blooms. I completely get the growing child analogy, as I look upon my rose children with such pride and glee. And those that are troubled bring parallel emotions to that experience as well - as I feel saddened, and exert extra effort to mend.

I notice same with many of the companion plants in the garden. The Dahlias, Mums, Lilies and many more, get stronger and more beautiful over time. I yanked the 2 gardenias because it was clear they were dying and all my attempts to remedy their issues were failures.

I can't help it - I see what I plant, as lives to be cherished. They are gifts of nature, and I feel unfit to be judge of their fate if their only issue is that they do not aesthetically please me.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a great thing to say about this forum, Harmonyp. You're a good gardener to have the perspective that you have toward your plants, and how neat that you brought modern roses into the discussion. Gardeners of all kinds need the gift of patience. Just out of curiosity, are your HTs grafted or own-root?

Sherry

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Sherry -- Don't worry about your Fortuniana.

Our R. banksia lutea was a gift from an older lady. She'd had it most of her life, was selling her home and moving in with a daughter, and she wanted to take it along. She chopped it down and dug it out, and gave us a chunk of the stump. Maybe 2.5 ft. tall, roots chopped short, and the ugliest thing you ever saw.

We planted it, and for at least three years, it just sat there -- this ugly stump.

The fourth year, it just EXPLODED in growth and bloom, and it's never stopped. I think they just need substantial "feet" under them, before they do much.

Jeri

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

To make it even harder, I have teas like Bon Silene who grew over my head in a matter of months, Mrs. Dudley Cross and Mrs. B.R. Cant that reached 4 feet and twice as wide in a short period of time and blooming like crazy the whole time. Then you have other little pipsqueaks that just sit and look at you for years before they make a move and you wonder what you're doing wrong. I always want to start futzing with my soil when they sit like that because as you probably know, most of us in Florida have terrible soil (read sand with no nutrients).

• odinthor
    11 years ago

Just a footnote: I mentioned 'Casimir Moulle' earlier. From the pix at HMF, you can't really tell how large the blossoms are (they're about the size of a nickel), or the effect of the whole plant. Here (link accompanies; when there, scroll down just a little for the plant) is a splendid picture of how a plant of 'Casimir Moulle' looks in bloom. Notice how the silvery reverse makes the blossom a bit magical! I should add that the foliage is so attractive, and the growth so vigorous and healthy, that it is worthwhile even without blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Casimir Moulle'

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, odinthor, you suckered me into THAT one - a nickel, huh? But I believe you when you say it's worthwhile even without blooming. You made me laugh. In fact, I'm still laughing. :))

Floridarosez, futzing. That's a technical term in Florida gardening circles, right? Yeah, me, too. I keep thinking about adding cat litter after the fact, or am I torturing the roses by not putting down pine bark mulch for two seasons, or are the roots down into the bad stuff. If we had good soil, it would be easier to be patient instead of worrying that something's wrong. And you're exactly right. All teas are not the same.

Sherry

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

Yours is a great description of how Tea roses grow, Sherry, and a lovely post. I currently have a young nameless Tea rose that I got as a cutting from a lady in Genoa. It's about three years old, rapidly putting on growth, but is covered in mildew. I, having profited from my reading on this forum, have been waiting for it to get some more years and a better developed root system and see whether it shakes off the fungal disease (I think it will). It looks like it's going to be a big rose.
    Suzy made a point, I think: about how important it is to go off and do other things while a plant is growing. A lot of times I plant roses and then largely forget them for a few years while I admire more developed or faster growing plants. Of course this is easier with a large garden.
    Jackie said it perfectly, that roses are long term investments like trees.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photo of Casimir Moulle. That's one I'm waiting patiently for.