SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Tricks for Designing with Exuberant Own Root OGRs

portlandmysteryrose
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

On another thread, someone asked me to elaborate on my method of alternating spreading (suckering) OGRs with other classes or cane/foliage types. I thought it might be nice, for both experienced hands and ones new to gardening with old roses, to start a thread on designing with "traveling" roses.

I began to garden with thugs in MN because, frankly, many of the roses that grow in that climate are OGRs which just can't help but colonize the garden. I grew to love Gallicas, Albas, Damasks and Rugosas. In that climate they weren't quite as rampant as they are in the rainforest climate of the PNW, but they still required The Shovel's boundary setting vigilance.

I realized the other day that I've been gardening for around 30 years! Time flies, and (ahem) I began at a very tender age, of course. With all that time to learn from my various trials, tribulations and gardening flops, I've finally acquired a few tricks.

One such trick involves harnessing the beauty and usefulness of biodiversity. OGR phenotypes noticeably vary across classes, and I am oh-so-relieved that they do. Because that means that even if Charles de Mills and Tuscany Superb produce similar Gallica foliage, I can simply assign them bed spaces diagonally across the garden and proceed to use other roses with very different foliage or canes as fillers. I still have to remove spreading stolons/canes, but I can at least IDENTIFY them!

For example, my parking strip turned rose garden contains four roses: Camaieaux (Gallica), Ebb Tide (Floribunda/shrub), Salet (Moss) and Tradescant (Austin). I've alternated suckering own root OGRs and non suckering moderns, ending in a non suckering modern by the water meter. Water meter: trust me! Just DO NOT go there with a traveling OGR. Also note that Salet and Camaieaux produce very different canes and blooms. I currently have a bit of a sheboozle in my Tuscany Superb hedge because I allowed Indigo to get within five miles of my favorite Gallica. I'll be tagging and spading furtive Indigo canes for the rest of my life.

My front bed is planted with a row of Perle d'Or, Rose de Rescht and Blanc Double de Courbet. Well, actually the BDdC spot is still occupied by Abe Darby, but he's scheduled for a move. Big pot. Cutting garden.

Anyway, you all get the idea. What are the tricks that you've learned in order to manage own root OGRs? I'd love to hear! I can always use doses of higher education. Carol

Comments (16)