SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbinpa

Follow up on no-spray garden-2nd year.

bbinpa
14 years ago

Hi folks. We had a long slow spring. The kind that makes life pleasant in the garden. I started the season by downsizing by 16 roses. I posted earlier what those are. Mostly BS or midge magnets or both.

Winter was not kind. Many roses were cut to the ground and most bounded back, though a bit later than those that had a good start. We are still not having super hot days. I had a lovely spring flush. Roses are gearing up for a second flush. I can see already the candidates for the next meeting with my spade. My beautiful Golden Wings ain't so beautiful and Prairie Princess is nearly defoliated. Great Maiden's Blush lost all but one long cane. It looks very much like the Black Walnut roots are encroaching. Canes turn yellow as do the leaves before falling. Her flush was less than stellar. As much as I hate losing her, I think she must go. As to the midge, I really don't want to talk about them. I hate whining!

Oh, OK, I'll talk about them. You may or not remember that when I gave up fungicides and pesticides I started spraying with AACT (actively aerated compost tea-mine's from KIS, brewed just before using). I've been using my Rocket Sprayer (all last year and twice this year) until I discovered on KIS's website, that it was not the sprayer recommended. Apparently, it damages the microrganisms. Since my pocket book is lean and I cannot afford a new sprayer just yet, I bought an old fashioned watering can, and I'm sprinkling (unfiltered) tea on the roses. The five gallons only covers about 1/2 my roses, but something surprising has happened. I've noticed less (that is LESS not NO) midge on those plants. This is in a border that was first, fertilized, top dressed with horse manure, covered with cardboard then mulched. In that same border, however, is Abe Darby-cut to the ground and late arriving-on which I have yet to see a bloom. All tips are midged! The roses surrounding him have all bloomed and 3 of those were cut to the ground.

I have minor BS of some other cultivars and NONE on most others.

Still surprisingly clean are the two Fairy Tale Roses by Kordes-Floral Fairy Tale and Lion's Fairy Tale. Clean as whistle where disease is concerned. This is their third year in my garden and second year they have not been sprayed. For moderns you folks might want to consider. Also still clean are Le Vesuve, Lady Hillingdon and Duchess de Brabant. But then the season is early. Let's wait til fall and see how they do. Most of the other roses are clean as well, but these are ones that surprised me.

Any comments welcome. Any questions?

Thanks for reading.

Barbara

Comments (18)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Barbara,

That is interesting. I have been told that we don't have midge here, but we have so many critters that perhaps they eat the midge. Thrips are my worst critters. LOL

Why don't you list your successes?

SAmmy

• duchesse_nalabama
    14 years ago

hi, Barbara,
    It sounds like you're making progress, and I'm glad to hear your watering can AACT story and (maybe) its effect on midge and bs.

Also, I'm glad to hear about your fairy tales as I have two of them, caramel and golden, and both of these have been very clean for me.

Into my second no spray year I'm always glad to hear another's progress too. That's all very encouraging, and I hope that the midge completely disappears over the next year or two. When is midge the worst in the season? Or does it have peaks?

I'm sorry to hear about Golden Wings; that is a lovely rose from all the pics I've seen of it...

Gean

• Related Discussions

2nd Year Newbie Questions about planning my garden this year.

Q

Comments (3)
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of gardening! :) (I'm in a happy mood because all of my crocus are blooming!) Without going into too much detail, rotating is used mainly for two reasons: to help prevent the build-up of disease and to help avoid depletion of the soil of certain substances. Any basic gardening (vegetable) book will usually go into detail. But essentailly it boils down to moving plants so that you don't grow the same types of plant in a spot year after year. I started listing what shouldn't go where, but really it is easier if you look in a book. Or online. But corn next to lettuce isn't a problem, whereas peppers where your tomatoes were last year might be. Cheers!
    ...See More

2nd year of rotting fruit on Cherry tree

Q

Comments (3)
    I would guess it's the dreaded Brown Rot. Once that starts it moves rather quickly. I had it a few years ago and some of the experts here on GW pointed me to a product called Monterey Fungi Fighter. I was unable to locate that locally (in a very short time that I had to get it applied) so I found a product from Bonide called Infuse that had the same active ingredient. It worked just like they said it would! I want to say it was Harvestman or Fruitnut who had guided me on this one, but they had said you can even use it in a rescue operation. In other words, if you have spotted early signs of Brown Rot you can spray with MFF (or in my case Infuse) and it'll stop the BR and you'll have saved some of the crop anyway. It worked for me. Going forward from that experience, I was much more diligent in making sure I collected and discarded any of the "Mummies" (the shriveled up fruit with the nasty moldy looking spore things, etc) as well a keeping things really clean under the tree. And then being diligent in a spray schedule with regard to applying a Fungicide. Now when I harvest my cherries, one of the last things I do after picking for the day is to go around the underneath of the tree and pick up all the drops or bird pecked ones that I discard so that there's nothing under my tree except for grass. Even if I'm dog tired after a day of harvesting I find the energy to get the drops off the ground and thrown away. I think it really helps. Others may have a different take on your cherry problem, but if it is BR the products noted and keeping a clean area may help out going forward. This post was edited by iowajer on Mon, May 26, 14 at 9:08
    ...See More

Spring Flush -Garden now in 2nd and 3rd years

Q

Comments (17)
    Oh how nice you are. Ingrid, I have admired the lovely photos of your garden, thank you for your comments. There is one bush in my little garden that I am watching for a couple of years to see if it is staying. Thank you Jennie, I like to see a garden instead of just close-ups...but I love them to. Thanks Jeff. The fence came in sections from Lowe's I paint everything the same mossy green color. It was black originally. Rosefolly, I appreciate the kind comments from someone with so much knowledge...the trees are quite mature. The background was recently marred by Alabama Power deciding that a lush fig tree posed some danger to them. that's what caused the weird mess on the right corner. (fig trees are tough. It's regrowing.) kay
    ...See More

Part 2 of Our 2nd Year Hosta Garden

Q

Comments (7)
    Mr Gary, you are a good gardener, and probably a great neighbor as well. That is a gorgeous picture of a comfortable immaculate property. I like the jalousied windows and the chance to sit and view the peaceful gardens. What on earth did it look like before you discovered hosta? They are the jewelry of your garden. ............ Now, where do you keep the Emerald Stain? :)
    ...See More
  • zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Thanks for the report-----I really don't know what a midge looks like---so far I guess I;m lucky---Mu roses all look pretty good this year----I haven't sprayed anything for longer than I can remember---I used to spray when I had a lot of HT's but I didn't like the smell or the work involved so it is survival of the fittest-----the JB's haven't arrived yet---Last year we hardly had any at all hope it repeats this year--

My Clair Matin is happily on her second flush. I had to cut her back a lot after blooming she was covering the path but she responded with a flourish---a great rose.

Florence

• allison64
    14 years ago

Bbinpa, when you say midged are you talking about the first new growth were the bloom will be? It turns brown drys out and no bloom? I am having that problem, bigtime! (I am in San Diego,Ca.)
    I have been reading so much about roses lately I can't remember what causes what I am going through. Too much info in my head right now:-) That is why I am asking.
    Thanks,
    Allison

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your interest!

Sammy,it really is too soon to brag about success with either BS or the midge. Last year the serious BS hit in late summer and early fall. Midge seem to increase as the summer heat increases. By mid summer their abundance is very apparent. I will definitely speak about disease & midge later this year.

Gean, as stated-mid summer. In some cases I have to cut ALL new growth off of roses. It is a real bummer.

Zeffy, I've never seen a midge either. They are hardly visible. It is the evidence of their destruction that is so evident. You are very lucky not to have them as I believe PA is a hot spot for midge. Clair Matin looks beautiful in photos I've seen. I'll have to look into this rose.

Allison, I know midge are present on the west coast, but if you search the Rose Forum and look for harryshoe's postings, he produced some excellent examples of midged growth. It is unmistakable. Also, Baldo's web site has some good photos.

When I inspect the roses, I look for any discolored new growth, a little tiny brown spot is sometimes visible. That new growth gets snipped and pocketed or bagged immediately. Also, if I gently hold those barely new petels, the tiny ones on new growth, and without much pressure they fall off, I figure that could be midged new growth as well. It gets snipped. I may be all wet here, but this is my only defense at prevention. I'm hoping I can capture the larvae before they drop in the soil.

Also, when I snip, I look further down the cane. I have seen midge signs not only at the top but at each node below for two to three nodes-however long the soft tissue of new growth is.

Snipping midged growth is a necessity anyway, because the rose will not continue to grow from that spot once invaded.

Again, your support is so appreciated.

Barbara

• allison64
    14 years ago

Barbara, thank you very much for the time and information. it is much appreciated. Good luck and many many blooms for you!
    Allison

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Barbara, thank you very much. My Floral Fairy Tale is a mess (it has not been sprayed this season), but Caramel Fairy Tale looks good.

And I appreciate the update on midge (click on the link to see the insect and the damage). Horrible beast. Thanks for the note on the damage on the neck and down the cane.

Do you winter protect Lady H at all? I lost mine a few years ago, and am too chicken to try again...

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Diane, I'm sorry to hear that your FFT is suffering. Mine is still very clean and now with less midge damage it is blooming. It just goes to show that someone's dream rose is another's nightmare.

No, I do not winter protect any of my roses. Lady H was cut to the ground this year and is only about 3 feet, maybe less, now, but she is blooming. She is also in a very exposed position, along the driveway. The asphalt may warm the soil a bit, but she is otherwise very exposed to the elements. I think the dryness of last winter did her more damage than cold. Her canes were cripsy brown this spring.

Thanks for the link to the midge photos. If you look at the last photo in that series, you will see what appears to be earlier damage from midge after the larvae have fallen. I try to search for new growth prior to that stage. There is usually a slight brown shadow that to me indicates an early invasion. I believe it is possible that midge larvae are still present in the stem. That's when I snip. I wish I had a microscope to examine the stem to see if I'm doing any good. I'm not a scientist, so even with a microscope, I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at.

Thanks for your interest.

Barbara

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Thank you for the update on your no spray roses. I am also going no spray to help the bees, butterflies, and bats.
    I live in Michigan and have mostly rugosas(Blanc Double de Coubert,Buffalo Gal,Henry Hudson,Jens Munk,Fru Dagmar Hastup,Roseraie de l'Ha, and Schneekoppe)with a few OGRs(Penelope,Mme Isaac Pereire,Jacques Cartier,Souvenir de la Malmaison,Konigin von Danemark. and Zephirine Drouhin) I also have Aunt Honey,Autunm Sunset,Westerland,and Abraham Darby.
    This my second year growing roses so I'm anxious to hear how everyone else is doing. I don't think we have midge up here(fingers crossed), maybe the japanese beetles ate them!LOL!
    -B

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brandy, you have some good roses. I love my rugosas. They are so easy.

I would not wish midge on my worst enemy and how I wish the JBs would eat them. I have plenty of those too. If I had to choose my enemies, between these two I would take the JBs. They have a shorter season of destruction and at least I can see them. I generally collect the JBs in a bucket of soapy water and watch them drown!

Barbara

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I've had it and am going to spray, will take every precaution to protecting bees and only target specific plants that either aren't blooming or rose bushes (cut all the blooms, buds, and pruned back).

I'm first going after the Japanese Beetles with Sevin, then will use Orthonex (taken off the market but they said I could still use my unopened bottle) for blackspot and whatever else I can get rid of. All of my roses, every single one, except the ones with shiny leaves, two babies and one volunteer, have problems. My one once bloomer that had such nice blooms looks like a ragged mess; it will survive. Again, whatever I use will take every precaution to protect the bees that are left (bumblebees and yellow jackets, no honeybees).

I've been "organic" for 3 years, isn't working and don't have the energy to make the teas and all the rest of it when it still might not work for me.

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aliska,

Don't forget to take the necessary precautions for yourself as well. Wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves, goggles and most important of all a good respirator, the kind that makes you look like you have a monkey face. Immediately after spraying, dump the clothes in the washing machine and run naked to the shower.

I understand your frustration. Good luck.

Barbara

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Barbara, I got plastic coveralls with a hood, rubber slip-on boots, socks, surgical gloves, goggles all ready to go, but those respirators were so expensive.

I have two dust masks and might be able to tie a bandanna on or something; I know they won't work as well. I'll try not to get too close to inhale the stuff. I even stuffed cotton in my nostrils but that won't work.

Then with the coveralls, I'm hoping I can hose them down well, hang to dry, and use them again. They will tear if I get snagged on a rose thorn, will try not to.

That way I won't have to worry about separate laundry and my clothing because I may have to do it over subsequent days, will just wash my face well. Socks I can just hand launder, then launder again with the rest of my stuff.

I'm going to have to shield anything with flowers with a "portable" barrier of heavy plastic and/or plastic throws which I can rinse off. My other one got wedged behind a heavy piano where I can't get at it. Cardboard doesn't seem like a good idea for this.

There's a lot involved in this, and I've been on the phone with 3 places now (about this and other products) trying to make sure I understand exactly how to go about it, read everything carefully.

I don't think I'll have to be quite this careful with some of the rest I have to use. Most people around here are spraying whatever they use, Roundup for sure, in their shorts or regular clothes. Guys, of course.

Thank you for your concern.

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aliska, invest in a good respirator! Depending on what you use, this stuff can easily be absorbed through the pores. There is no substitute for a respirator. A slight unexpected breeze will blow this stuff right at you. The paper ones will not work. The filters can be replaced and are relatively inexpensive.

Some of the fungicides and pesticides in use were developed from mustard gas, so, yes, it can be lethal. One spraying will not do the job on your problems, and you will have to repeat with some regularity.

You should also read a little book called "The Truth about Organic Gardening". It is the best unbiased review of all things synthetic and organic. It tells you what the affect on the environment is and the relative safety of both. He does not mince words and admits himself to using both means of control.

It isn't that you cannot spray fungicides and pesticides safely; you just must take normal precautions. Also, keep you pets and other people out of the garden while you are spraying. After it dries, they can safely return. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish!

Barbara

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Barbara, I will try to read or at least skim over that book (have difficulty concentrating for too long now) and next time I'm at the hardware store will get a respirator then, oh with glasses, goggles and that, it is not going to be easy. They are a little more helpful and knowledgeable generally than big box stores.

I stuffed a bandanna into the masks, know from reading about other things small particulate especially liquid still can get through, but I'm old and if one thing doesn't get me it's going to be another, none pretty. I feel I'm ok for now, feel sorry for people who do that for a living. I know for fact the young guy who I FINALLY got to come in years ago and spray for cockroaches and fleas got some pneumonia-like affliction, and we both agreed it was probably from his work with chemicals. He used no protection other than pants and long shirt IIRC and did it all day, every day, inside and out, much of the year.

I've always hated any sprays in my house for anything, one reason I like to stay independent because you have no choice in almost all community living situations. They spray on a regular basis; it's mandatory, and I'm not real confident they have but minimal concern for the occupants or people who do it, just so things "look" nice. Sometimes there is no other way. But it seems they spray routinely as a preventive.

In spite of taking so many precautions and doing my homework as best I could w/new equipment and things I've never attempted before, I ran into several little problems. The spray itself once you get it going is easy enough, but anything can go wrong at any time. It's just faith that the dial actually delivers the correct dilution.

I'll only mention a couple of things but there were more, that is nasty stuff to work with and hard to clean.

I need some longer rubber gloves as found one unused pair left of surgical gloves, and by the time I was done, my hands felt slimy, could be from sweat, but I think some got in, washed several times with soap and water.

The other thing was maybe stupid on my part but the way they tell you to clean the dial container. I could work at the faucet with that because there's bare ground, but you have to unscrew it while the spray part is still on the hose, rinse out as well as you can, on the other side of the two-way diverter I have there, and it takes several rinsings to get it out. NEVER unscrew the dial part from the hose connection until you've got it as clean as you can, why later. Then you screw it back on and clear out the spray part and uptake tube, says two short bursts (and even rinsed those other parts under running water, don't think instructions said. I did five bursts and maybe shouldn't have.

But either way, when you finally think you are done, turn off the water, start to unscrew at the hose connection, the pressure left in the hose squirts water. And I noticed in spite of my care, there was still slight evidence of milky liquid in the container, much diluted but still there.

Being alone, few people or pets ever come into my yard. I let the cat out for the night, he's back, hope he didn't walk through that area, it can take awhile to dry and for things to develop.

So it's a good thing I quit when I did and not attempt anything in the front. Maybe from now on I'll just do those several specific plants I did and probably not as often as necessary because I procrastinate anyway.

No way could I have suited up and done that if it had been hotter, so that's a future consideration.

I don't know how other people deal with this stuff. It was quite the learning experience.

If somebody locally could convince me that organics really work and show evidence of clean roses like I see so much here (this was mostly to save my cherry trees and a few other congregating plants that aren't blooming), it won't seem like as much trouble because spraying is trouble, too. Kelp I don't worry about any of it, practiced with that in my pump sprayer.

Well, since I've done another one of my diatribes, I was thinking about writing a blog in our local paper about my experience with iminicloprid. The Bayer product for spraying that has evidently flown off the shelves. Here we are with no honeybees, and we want to keep our pretty blooms and kill bumblebees and other pollinators? At least I thought of them and took off the blooms or targeted things that aren't blooming now. Madness.

But I think I'll hold off on that because I don't feel comfortable writing on one of those things, few read them anyway. My neighbor across the street says he has no JB's.

• jacqueline9CA
    14 years ago

Wow - you folks in zones 6&7 (and hotter humid areas) sure do have some real challenges with JBs and rampant mildew. I don't spray, but I think our very hot & dry climate (May through Oct) helps keep down the mildew naturally, and so far we don't have JBs at all.

Some of my tea roses get a little mildew if Spring is cool & damper than usual, but it mostly clears up by June when the hot dry weather sets in. No rust, except on the @#$%&^* hybrid teas - I only have 6 of them, all because they were planted by my husbands grandfather in the 1930s - 1950s, , and are family heirlooms.

My other 100 -odd roses are teas, chinas, hybrid musks, noisettes, banksias, with a few modern climbers and ground cover roses.

So, sounds like I am having success without spraying mainly because of the climate, and growing mostly healthy type roses. What I enjoy most about not spraying (as well, of course, as not having to suit up as if I were going into outer space) is the variety of insect, bird and other wildlife we have here everyday. Despite living only 3 blocks from the downtown area of our town, we have deer (not so welcome, but I even gave up spraying roses against them - they don't eat much), raccoons, possums, 2 kinds of squirrels, the occasional skunk, over 75 different bird species I have identified actually in our yard (including hawks), LOTS of butterflies, lots of different kinds of bees (including honeybees), ladybugs, soldier beetles (which I was happy to find out eat aphids!), etc, etc.

Going out in the garden this morning, I saw 6 butterflies and 3 humming birds - all in just a few moments. Brings me joy.

One kind of bad bug I don't think you guys have is the curlieque beetle (sp?) - little devils are the same size, color, and shape as ladybugs, but they have a long pointy snout, which they use to put their eggs into small rose buds, which then die without blooming. I used to spray for them, but now I just pick off the dead buds when I see them (and squash the beetles) and put them in the garbage, so that the eggs won't hatch. Luckily, the buds have to be fairly small for the bugs to be able to abuse them this way, so most of the roses don't have this problem.

Anyway, now I feel luckier than I did before I started reading this thread - I have all of the advantages of not spraying, with not many of the possible disadvantages - thanks so much for helping me realize how lucky I am!

Jackie

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

all in just a few moments. Brings me joy.

Those things do me, too, and I felt so upbeat about finally getting some flowers that are attracting a few things I hadn't seen since my childhood. I even put things out for the coons in winter, think they're cute, but not in summer, got a photo of a baby possum eating kitchen scraps I'd set out, wasn't hurting anybody. I love deer, and thank heaven so far they stop just short of my block to my awareness even though they are over in the park and saw a small one down in the next block a couple years ago, thought it was a dog at first.

I've got to get off the pity pot about it. Most people around here just aren't bothered too much about the JB's. In my neighborhood, everyone's lawn is perfect, and you know that means chemicals. It's a way of life. I gave in this year, but will only treat the lawn for sufficient reason, can live with a little imperfection. I'm the kind of person who can overlook a lot, and I mean a lot, but something about those beetles makes me feel like things are out of control, and I hate that feeling.

Right now I'm pretending they aren't out there. But in awhile will be back out there with my soapy water. At least they aren't so tiny you can't physically pick them off even if you know you're missing who knows how many? Sitting high up eating my birch leaves laughing at me :-)

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Jackie, you folks on the West Coast have it easy, or so we on the East think. Every garden has its challenges.

Aliska, I'm a grandmother,too. And you are right, the only neighborhood in this area I have seen without JBs is one in which there is a Chem Lawn service poster in every yard. They have arrived here, but so far it isn't too bad.

Thank you both for posting.
    Barbara