SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelakt

2nd year of rotting fruit on Cherry tree

PamelaKT
9 years ago

Type of tree: North Star (pretty sure, but not 100% - it's a sour cherry - I seem to recall the tree being labeled "Dwarf")
Height of tree: 15-18'
Age of tree: 6-7 years
Place of purchase: Lowe's
Weather of late: 1st year of rot: rain, nothing but blasted rain; this year: snow, lots of snow.

About 4 years ago, we noticed two canker spots on the tree. One on a joint of the tree where a branch met the trunk, and one about 4-6 inches from the base. Lot's of oozing that attracted ants. My husband read that we should cut the tree past the rot, but that meant taking down the tree since the bigger canker was at the base. Long story short, we never got around to it. I swear the tree knew our intentions, because that spring, we got a massive amount of cherries that ripened (I was actually wishing for birds at that point, since I had more than I could ever harvest). The next year we got a decent crop - not as many as the previous year, but enough to share with our avian friends.

Last year we were expecting the same. We got lots of green clusters, then BAM! they all went black. Almost overnight, it seemed. Not a single one ripened. Not. A. One. Leaves are green, tree "looks" healthy. Canker is dried up and healed over.

This year, we have green fruit in abundance again, and danged if they aren't starting to rot before ever getting close to ripening. Grrrrr! Leaves still green, tree still looks healthy (except for the rotting fruit that even the birds won't touch). Sigh.

I've read that the canker will cause the fruit rot, but the first "mega" crop was the spring after we noticed it and we got another crop, (albeit, a smaller one) the following year. Now tho, we have had two years of rotting fruit.

So two questions: 1) what is the culprit here? Is it the canker (despite the two good crop years following its appearance and apparent healing), or is it the two years of wet weather? 2) Now that we've had two years of rotting fruit, will this tree ever bounce back (say, if we get a dryer winter/spring) and produce edible cherries or is it done?

Thanks for all your help.

Comments (3)