SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcsteeve

Conflicting soil test results

bcsteeve
9 years ago

Pretty basic stuff... I'm just trying to determine the physical soil type I'm working with.

I assumed it was very sandy based on drainage. Drains like there's nothing there. Never any puddles. I empty the kid's pool and it is dry in under a minute. Sand, right? But I'm never one to assume... not when I'm spending money.

I'm wanting to switch from sprinkler's to sub-surface drip irrigation and the emitter and row spacing depends on the soil type (narrower for sandy, wider for clay, etc). So I want to confirm. In the drip line instructions, they detail the jar method (ie. put a cup of soil in a jar, fill with water, shake and let settle... measure the strata). The result of this test was... confusing. It was homogenous. I didn't get strata at all. If you looked really closely, MAYBE there was a tiny layer at the top which would indicate it was like 99% sand or silt and 1% silt or clay (with 2 layers instead of 3, you can't be certain what the layers are). So a bit inconclusive, but this seemed to confirm that its almost entirely sand.

But...

Not quite satisfied, I watched a good video on the "feel" test. Take a lump of sand, add some water, squish it up... can you form a ball or not? If you can't, it is sand. But... I could! Quite easily! A very nice, compact, round ball. Wait a minute, that suggests clay! Then I did the ribbon test and I could make a 5cm+ ribbon which seemed to confirm I'm working with clay-clay, not sand. Not even loamy clay, but just... well, clay.

But if its clay, then why does it drain so fast?

What do I do next?

Comments (23)