SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simcan

Pruning mistake(s)?

simcan
13 years ago

I have inherited a lovely old garden that I have been slowly bringing back after two decades of neglect. There are numerous roses, mostly hybrid teas and floribundas, which were a little ungainly but not too overgrown. Late spring I pruned them down to about a foot after cutting out old wood. They have responded very well, but a few have an annoying characteristic, which is that they flower heavily but in what would be a, say, 2-3 foot bush, but with several rogue stems firing out to about 4-5 feet, which camoflagues the blooms. These stems are not blooming, though I expect they might late in the season. Should I just cut these out? Peg them? Is there a mistake I made pruning to encouraging this?

As a subsidiary question, what are my prospects for identifying these roses? With so many varieties and with the flowers and foliage looking so different at different points, I sort of feel it is a non-starter. But what pictures (i.e., of what, when) would be the best to get if I wanted the best shot at i'd'ing them?

Comments (2)