SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

Case of the Missing Glove - A Senior Moment

iowa50126
15 years ago

I took advantage of the sunny, cool low humidity day this past Sunday to enlarge a flower bed. I plan to divide some daylilies this fall and I "added on" to the planting bed. I also reduced my mowing of turf grass another 50 square feet. (grin)

I just dugout the turf to form a new edge, scalped the grass with the mower and then covered the area with newspaper and some cardboard. Then I added 4 inches of wood chip mulch gathered from the free mulch pile at the nearby town maintenance garage. By Sept it should be easy to plant in that space.

Now for the "missing glove" mystery.

I only use cheap brown jersy cotton gloves for garden/lawn work. One pair usually gets me through the season. I was wearing my current pair working on the flower bed.

I removed one glove to separate the newspaper I was laying out. I just tossed it to one side in the middle of the new bed. I then decided I did not have enough paper to cover everything so I went to the basement to get some saved cardboard.

I quickly laid out the cardboard and started to cover everything up as the wind was now blowing fairly steadily and the newspaper was fluttering.

Soon I was done and as I admired my work and started to pick up the tools etc. I then wondered where my missing glove was (?)...as I was only wearing one on my right hand.

And now for the "Senior Moment" part.

I search the basement, garage, nearby lawn and points in between for that darned glove. I even picked thru the newly laid mulch to discover it. But like Judge Crater/Jimmy Hoffa I could not find it.

About an hour later as I consumed a diet coke on my shady deck enjoying the beautiful July day... It hit me!

... the stupid missing glove was (you guessed it) under the cardboard.

As I write this ... it's still there...I bought a new pair last night. Perhaps I'll find it when I move those daylilies. (smile)

Comments (5)