SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_give_up

Do you think this will work to turn blue clay into good soil?

never-give-up
16 years ago

I have a large pile of blue clay that was dug out years ago and I was trying to figure out how to make it into good soil. I haven't got much of anything to work with on my property except crap rocky soil and this pile of clay and a little sand. I have an excavator here because of a bad drainage problem and wondered if this would work.

If the excavator guy spread out the clay say a few inches high in full sun and then I layered it like a lasagna bed do you think I could make some good soil out of it by next spring? How thick do you think the clay layer should be? If I covered it with black plastic it "seems" like it should cook faster.

Also if all I can find is fresh cow manure can that be layered in now? Would it compost enough not to hurt plants by spring? If it is fresh manure how many inches do you think the layer should be and should it be near the top or bottom of the bed?

I don't have much money but probably can scrounge up stuff this summer to make the layers.

This is what I was thinking for the order.

clay

cardboard/newspaper

sand

cow manure

then whatever else I can scrounge: leaves, grass clippings, etc.

I would really appreciate your suggestions. I won't be able to plant anything until next year where the drainage problem is and after that will not have much of any good soil to work with. I hoped this could be a solution if I can figure out how to make it work. If I could get it ready by next spring I could move it where I want to plant. What do you think?

Comments (4)