SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greginnd

Picloram Contamination advice needed

greginnd
11 years ago

Let's make a long story short. We acquired a 12 acre farmstead in April that was used for a horse pasture. My plan is to use a 3/4 acre pasture to the east for a vineyard. The first thing I did was plant a vegetable garden in the corral area next to the barn. I noticed my tomatoes and beans were all dying. After a lot of research I found the previous owner used Tordon (picloram) contaminated ditch hay to feed his horses in the Fall and Winter of 2010. I am currently doing bioassays of soil samples throughout to determine the extent of the contamination.

In my garden plot it is spotty but there is a large pile of composted manure next to it that presumably came out of the barn. Peas grown in that compost show very severe deformities. Likewise with the manure still in the barn. Too bad all that wonderful fertilizer is useless. In the vegetable garden there are hot spots and places where things grow jus fine.

As I bioassay soil samples out in the east pasture I find slight contamination in a few spots and growth of peas just fine from most. The closer to the barn and feeding trough the more curling of the leaves I see.

I know picloram is even more persistent in the soil and compost than clopyralid. I have several questions.

If I see damage in my bioassay but it is just slight curling of the leaves, would it be safe to till the land and plant grapes next year?

What do I do with the large amount of contaminated manure? Is there a way to speed up degradation of it? I guess this degrades the slowest in compost.

In my vegetable garden with pretty high concentration of hot spots from the manure, realistically how long will it take before I could grow sensitive plants like tomatoes and beans?

Are there any new developments on bioremediation of these pyridine carboxylate herbicides?

Thanks.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting