SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaylynne51

new 100 gal tank - pesticide contamination- HELP!

jaylynne51
16 years ago

I bought a 100 gallon tank last spring. It has been years since I kept fish. The purpose of the tank is as a focus to enhance my living room which is my designated art-music-contemplation-relaxation/renewal area. No tv or computers allowed, just a lot of houseplants and this tank. It will be a "low-tech" planted tank with about 5-7 Ryukins, a small school of white cloud minnows, couple of dwarf plecos and selected invertebrates(blue lobster, cherry shrimp, apple snails).

The problem is that just about the time the tank completed the "fish-less cycling" (thank you, Kokos goldfish page), I had to go into the hospital for double knee replacement surgery. While I was in rehab and staying at my parents house during a 6-weeks recovery, the tank ran merrily on its own. HOWEVER, there was a flea infestation(2 dogs, 2 cats, I wasn't there). My daughter flea bombed the house several times with the tank cover open and the filter running!!

It is now January, six months later. I have not anything put anything living in the tank due to the pesticide contamination. I have been taking out the water for my houseplants and it's now 1/2 empty. I am finally physically recovered from the operation and am ready and able to work on the tank.

Long lead up to important questions:

Do I have to throw out the gravel?

Can it be rinsed enough to remove the pesticides?

How do I clean everything to make sure there are no contaminants? I'm talking about the tank itself, the canister filter (Rena Filstar xP3), and yes the gravel.

I am resigned to starting all over with "fishless" cycling and intend to incorporate topsoil under the gravel for the plants which will greatly reduce the amount of gravel going back into the tank. All the research I have been doing has not led to any answers to my concerns. The LFS have not been helpful and the chains do not have overly qualified help. (Just throw in some fish and see if they live was the answer I got. Totally unacceptable!)

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor