SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Contaminants, trivial and significant.

13 years ago

I try to avoid or minimize spraying with artificial pesticides (really any pesticide), use organic fertilizers on many plants and most of the edibles (chemical fertilizers are used mainly on ornamentals), love my earthworms, compost abundantly (hate to pitch out a bit of organic matter), and even am playing with mychorrhiza. There is much I share with organic gardening.

I also deal professionally with contamination and know a bit about some types.

I am a thus bemused by some of what almost has to be characterized as phobic preoccupation with at worst trace contaminants (in charcoal ashes, soaker hoses made from old tires, etc., etc., etc.) and additionally those that would be highly diluted, many types degraded, and in any case then would have to somehow make it into the food plant.

Ashes from lead-painted or pressure treated wood, sure, no question in avoiding using (though even burned creosoted or napthalenated wood would be OK, just not CCA; even boreated wood would be OK in very low application and would even help apples in many soils).

Soaker hoses and PVC for irrigation? Puuleese. Calculate the dilution in the first hour of use far less by the 100th. And that is even if they leach a thing.

How many people who worry about such things irrigate or drink from a home well? How many have tested for the not uncommon contaminants arsenic, radium, or uranium? How many test for lead or cadmium from naturally acidic water and copper or galvanized pipes? How many have tested their yard soils for selenium (in certain areas) or all those decades of over-the-counter and mass application of copper, lead and arsenic (as lead arsenate), persistent DDT and chlordane, and even some mercury (one leading horticulturist of the 30s recommended using "corrosive sublimate" or mercuric chloride, then available in small pouches in any drug store, for sterilizing plant cuts and even, hard to believe now, killing earthworms in the grass)?

What is that Biblical saying on preoccupation with the minor and ignoring the major? In this case it is just the potentially major, but all those problems I mention are not uncommon.

Why the fear of the tiny potential, especially in the face of the much more likely? It is hard to understand from the doorway (that is, not being all the way into the collective).

Comments (14)