SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vale7_gw

Living VERY close to pesticide-laden agricultural lands :(

vale7
11 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm new here. I live in Quebec, Canada and my boyfriend and I recently moved into our new house. We are planning on living here forever - the house is big enough to accommodate a family of 5 or 6 plus our two large dogs. We bought a half-acre piece of land and built our house on it.

At first we thought, Wow, having these agricultural lands behind our house is great - we'll never be bothered by any neighbors. But then I read a book on pesticides. And then I realized that this tractor with the huge container spraying liquids onto the crops almost everyday of the week is probably spraying pesticides - not water, silly me.

We are still planning on keeping the house - we had it built to our taste and big enough to live in it with many little ones running around. But I'm bummed. I thought I would write a letter to the town mayor but found out the mayor is actually a member of the family who owns the potato company which happens to be one of the biggest in Canada - if not THE biggest potato supplier. I'm pretty sure the mayor would never take into consideration a petition or letter asking them to please reduce their pesticide use.

So here I am, kindly asking if there was anything I could do to reduce our pesticide exposure while living within 300 feet of the agricultural lands where they so often spray pesticides. I had this big dream of having my very own organic garden ever since we bought our piece of land and the more I think of it, the less I think I could do it without having all my produce infected with pesticide residue. I know they would not spray any on MY garden but it is windy pretty much all the time here and I know that pesticides are even found in rain water wherever pesticides get to be "drifted" by winds. And what about the bees? Would they contaminate my produce? The beautiful apple trees I planned on having... :( And the water-saving system I wanted to make to collect rain water for my garden... Should I just give up on my dream garden and buy my fruits and vegetables from organic growers?

Right now, there are several Birch trees that separate our land from the agricultural one behind our house... there are about 10 trees or so, maybe 20 feet high. Should I try and make a "wall of trees"? Would that help in keeping most pesticides away when it is windy? What else could be done to reduce our pesticide exposure? Or to reduce the risk of having those nasty chemicals contaminate our land and garden, if we do choose on having a garden?

Comments (46)