SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

What to replace the apollo sugar maple with?

I've already come to terms with the loss of this tree and I'm already looking forward.

The tree in question:

The planting situation:

If I could, I would replace it with another one so the replacement doesn't look to out of place. But it was just a freak accident that I found any to begin with. The nursery only had exactly 3 and that nursery is now out of business.

There is not a lot of room there as the neighbors have a bay window that sticks out yet it is that very window that I need a tree for privacy.

I'm thinking about some kind of holly, or little gem magnolia. Perhaps sweetbay magnolia. Trident maple is relatively easy to get ahold of so I'm considering that. I have a franz fontain hormbeam on the other side of the house that could be a could choice but the nursery I got that from is also gone.

When I first moved in, I chose plants that would overhang the property lines only minimally thinking that since this was a new neighborhood that people would eventually get around to landscaping and gardening. That was a mistake. I wasted primo space on smaller trees when I am desperate for shade and privacy just so the neighbors could plant things near the property line but they never did and probably never will.

This tree still needs to be somewhat narrow growing obviously but a height of 25-30' would be nice. I'm open to evergreens although this was the only one of the apollo maples that I could enjoy the fall color from the backyard patio. Will need to have a clear trunk for passage underneath.

Z7 in the georgia piedmont, clay, long droughts with watering bans, occasional heatwaves.

I'd love to try a katsura but this is probably a really bad site for one.

Anything other than another apollo maple is going to look out of place, isn't it?

Columnar norway maples are fairly common here but they don't do well here and they don't really look like these apollos. Not that I would plant a norway.

Comments (10)