SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

Deodar Cedar? Sugar maple? Something else?

dawiff
11 years ago

I have an area that has opened up in my garden where I'd like to plant a couple of trees. Actually, it opened up because I took out two trees that had problems. One was a pear that lost its top half in the ice storm this past winter, and the other was a diseased cherry that would drop its leaves and half-formed fruit.

So I'm trying to decide what to replace them with, and looking for advice. My two first choices are a deodar cedar and a sugar maple. I moved here from New England, and miss the fall color that maples provide. And I just like deodar cedars. Can anyone think of any reasons why those two might be problems? Can anyone suggest other possibilities that might work better? Do I maybe have room for three trees? Or two trees and a understory tree? What would you plant? Should I go with shrubs or understory trees and perennials instead?

The bed they will be going into is on the southwestern end of our property, so it gets good sun (when the sun is out). The bed in total is 70 feet long, but part of that is taken up by an oak that we kept. So I have about 45 feet in a bed that is about 10 feet wide.

The purpose of the trees is privacy, the bed is between me and my neighbor. I'm including some pictures of the area.

Here's a picture of my front lawn and the bed between my neighbor and me. You can see the oak on the left, and my neighbor's house beyond.

Here's the bed from the end of my neighbor's driveway. You can also see the south wall of my house.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Comments (16)