SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quantmfirebird

Sugar Maple Tree Won't Grow

Steve Limperis
5 years ago

My Fall Fiesta Sugar Maple that I planted from a container 5.5 years ago just won't seem to grow any bigger. It's put on next to nothing in caliper and maybe grows 3-5" max a year. Some branches may only grow an inch or two. It also loses at least a few branches every year. It does leaf out every year and gets great colors in the fall, but it just doesn't seem to really be thriving.

It's planted in the wettest part of the yard too, and I'm wondering if that's the problem. It's basically the lowest point for about 5 or 6 houses and is close to the storm drain. So, it's always fairly moist. I have an 18" moisture meter and I check all my younger trees regularly and it will occasionally by dry and need watering though. We've got mostly clay as our native soil too. I'm in a NW Suburb of Chicago so Zone 5a. It gets full sun for about 90% of the day.

I've been saying I'm just going to give up on it for the last couple years if it doesn't really grow, but I figured I'd get some opinions first. Do you think it will ever grow normally and thrive? Should I just cut it down and plant something else that would do better in the moist clay soil? I love the colors and I'd hate to give up on it, but if it isn't every going to really thrive where it is I'm willing to cut it down. Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer