SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nic73bay

UK Inherited an old overgrown rose garden

nic73bay
9 years ago

Hi I'm new here and really need help as an extreme novice. I live in the Uk and moved to a house with a (once upon a time) very loved garden. The house was empty for a while and we haven't done much over the last year. From talking locally, I do know that the previous owners moved here from another local house in 1950 and brought with them their roses. I

n the garden there are huge roses, one like a tree (almost 12ft and with very much a 'trunk' on it). Another HUGE rambler/climber which was attached to all manor of trellis/pipes/scraps of wood which have now collapsed. Again with quite large diameter lower parts of the Rose. Some of the 'trunk' looks ancient and some parts also extend up high to 20 ft or so from the base, albeit arched. I've attached a picture of this particular rose. This one really needs dealing with soon and the others in the garden I want to learn more about as I don't want to destroy very old and once loved garden. Some of these roses I'm sure must be at least 65 years old. There are probably 15 or so different types of roses in the garden.

My question is really, for now, to help identify these roses what pictures of the plant should I take to try and get the best advice/information. I tried researching and my lack of basic knowledge is making it hard to know where to start. No information is too basic for me. I can only seem to load 1 picture at a time so advice on adding an album of pictures here will be good too.

We do have a 3 year plan to renovate the house and extend and this will mean some of these plants will eventually need to move (if possible) too or if not possible I'd like to take cuttings for planting elsewhere (if possible). After all the house is called Rose Cottage, it should be full of roses...

Hoping there are some willing people to help with advice. Many thanks. Nicola

Comments (55)