SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Gardening in an old garden in an old neighborhood

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

I love the roses and some other plants in my garden which are holdovers from a time when the street was dirt, and our Queen Anne Victorian house was just a new "spec" house in a newly developing part of town. Below are pics of two of these - the first one is a white rose which was NOT growing on our property, but climbed over the fence from the neighbor's all by itself to get more light. 30 years ago we met the grandson of the original neighbors who lived next to our house when it was new - he still lived in his grandparents' house when we met him, and he said that his grandparents had planted the rose, but he did not know what it was. Eventually the original rose bush was killed by the people who bought the house when he sold it (why in Heaven's name would anyone decide to put their giant storage stack of fire wood logs right on top of a rose bush?). I noticed it was dying in time to take some cuttings from the part on my side of the fence, and one rooted, and I planted it right by the same part of the fence. It has since been sort of identified as Lamarque - isn't it gorgeous?

The other picture is a rhododendron which is way back in a now "secret" part of our garden (ie overgrown), but the same location used to be part of a very formal garden. The folks on the rhododendron forum think it is a "rootstock", which it might be, but that just means an old rhododendron, so it also may be the original one which was there. Took the photo today (new camera - yay!). I love the small, delicate blooms which are just starting to open.

Jackie

Comments (12)