SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kuinut

Clay Soil and Citrus Trees

kuinut
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

As you can probably guess, I am planning to plant a citrus tree, but my concern is with my very dense clay soil.

Specifically, I would like to plant a Meyer Lemon tree, hopefully grafted onto something that will stay nice and small. I haven't purchased the tree yet because I am still digging up the area I want to plant it in. My soil, however, is very very dense only a few inches down. I tried digging it up with a shovel, but only got about 5 inches in until I hit what is basically dried out dark chocolate. I am going to take a soil sample to my University's Cooperative Extension Office to get the composition tested and see if they have any advice.

I would like to amend the soil and do a lasagna garden, but as I understand, that takes a few years to have something to really work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience planting citrus trees in this kind of soil? From what I've read so far, it sounds like the tree would be ok being left in a pot for a while, but I would like to move it into the ground. I just don't want to try to plant it if the clay is going to choke out the roots... granted that I can even dig deep enough to get the root ball far enough in.

Thanks in advance,

Kui

Comments (11)