SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

confused: carbon to nitrogen or green to brown ratios

wonderpets
15 years ago

Ok. I have yet another question that is probably on the simple side and probably means that I have confused myself.

I thought the prime mix was 3 browns for each green. Or 3 carbons for each nitrogen. Or 3 parts dry for each part wet. (To include all of the different terminology.)

Now I'm reading _Compost: the natural way to make food for your garden_ by Ken Thompson and it looks like the opposite is the case. Specifically, on p27 he writes "A balanced diet for your pile, of roughly three parts soft, green waste to one part woody stuff, will give you rich, dark compost."

By woody stuff, he seems to mean low-nitrogen.

Later on in the book, he discusses high-fiber (like paper) versus lower-fiber kitchen scraps.

I realize that a lot of my confusion is heightened by the semantics....green, brown, carbon, nitrogen, proteins, wet, dry, soft, hard, high fiber, low fiber -- I know, I know, IACBTC.

I'm finding such satisfaction in gardening -- it's peaceful and something you can take your time with, the way I'm doing it. The composting this is more of a personal challenge -- my own mini-science experiment.

Comments (13)