SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Asters look awful at the base...any solution?

I usually don't have any issues with my asters. They looked great the last few years. This year one looks good and two look awful. The one that looks good is the same plant as the one that looks bad but in a different location. The good looking one is in full sun and the awful one is in less sun. The lower leaves are yellow and splotchy and it seems like some kind of foliar problem but I cut them back about a month ago and there is about 8 inches of healthy bushy growth on the top. I cut the one in full sun back the same time, but I think I cut it shorter, I can't remember.

Anyway, it's really looking ugly and I'm not sure what to do with it. If I cut it back again, I would have to cut below the yellowing leaves to see any improvement and that would leave it bare stemmed. Will it survive cutting off all it's leaves and grow new ones? Or do I have to go hand pick off all the lower leaves and leave it bare on the bottom? I have shorter plants in front of them that don't hide the bottom.

Anyone else have this problem? It's funny that I have this problem on a year with little rain, when I never had it in years when we had too much rain.

Comments (19)