SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

relatively new, exciting dogwood variety

davidrt28 (zone 7)
15 years ago

This is called Cornus 'Venus'. It is a disease-resistant (C. nuttalli X C. kousa) X C. kousa hybrid from the Rutgers breeding program. The flowers are huge, and seem, at least on my plant to be forming very slowly, which implies they will last well. (could just be the cool spring this year)

NB that Cornus nuttalli X C. florida hybrids like 'Eddie's White Wonder' are generally NOT thought to grow well on the East Coast, except perhaps in special climates like Cape Cod that never get very hot in summer. Someone on this board once recommended them as a disease-resistant dogwood for the eastern US. This could have something to do with such hybrids typically originating in maritime climates, where I suspect the Pacific dogwood was the seed parent because eastern dogwoods might not get enough heat there to ripen seeds. The C. nuttalli dominates and they are not very heat resistant. I can attest to an 'Eddie's White Wonder' growing poorly for me in Virginia and eventually putting it out of its misery.

Rutgers has released a C. kousa X C. nuttalli hybrid that supposedly grows well enough here. C. kousa is presumably the seed parent.

The leaves are not as unattractively light green as they seem...the dark green leyland cypress (soon to be cut down) made my camera slightly overexpose. I felt this plant was drought tolerant for me last year...I only watered it sparingly through our drought and it showed no sign of stress. This plant came from Rarefind.

{{gwi:353215}}

Comments (8)