SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Thornless Climbing Rebloomer for Large Container in partial shade

kristimama
12 years ago

This is not a joke, though I'm sure a few of you may be laughing silently at my insistence on thornless roses. (What can I say, I hate the prickles.)

So... I have a fairly large container (24" around by maybe 30" deep), glazed ceramic... on my entry porch that comes off my concrete driveway that currently has a large Camelia in it. It's doing OK, but the summers are hard because it gets a bit too much afternoon sun (and reflected heat from the concrete) to be really happy there. I've been thinking of finding something new to grow here, but since it's my entry porch I want something with a "wow" effect if possible, if not for all the year then at least for a long blooming season.

A few years ago I tried a bougainvillea there, but where I'm at in Contra Costa County, our winters get too much frost for bougies and it died there.

I had a random moment of, "hmmm... wonder if a rose would work here?" And it's OK if the answer is, "not a chance." I'm so new to roses that I really just don't know if this combination exists... and if it doesn't, the camelia is OK where it is.

Anyway, does such a rose exist?

1) Rebloomer

2) Climber. I'd love to get it up the side of my porch

3) Thornless (or thornless-ish)

4) Would tolerate living in a container for-e-v-e-r.

5) Would tolerate some shade (but it would get more sun if it can climb above 5 feet tall

I prefer the brighter cerise/magenta colors (hence the bougie.)

Maybe there's a good mini that might fit this bill? I may repost over there, too.

Thanks!

-kmama

Comments (4)