SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johntommybob

Old guys forget stuff (RE: Gravely Post)

johntommybob
15 years ago

If you read it you will remember I couldn't get my old Gravely 5240 to start. I must have pulled the rope a dozen times, and it didn't even sputter. I thought it was time for at least a tune up (Its probably been 15 years) and so I went over to the Gravely dealer, yesterday (40 miles round trip), and got a spark plug, points, condenser, and an air filter.

Today I went out to tackle the beast, and that's always not pleasant because you don't really know for certain if what you are about to do will fix it. Anyway, I got my tools (heavy) and toted them up to the shed.

I pulled the Gravely out and thought I will change the spark plug first (easiest).

I opened the hood to get at the motor, and immediately I noticed something wrong (I'm pretty sharp about these things): the spark plug wire was not on the spark plug!

Then I remembered the other day I was checking the plug to see which plug it used , when it was hard to start (but it did start that day), and I guess I forgot to put the wire back on. No wonder it didn't hit a lick!

This morning, before I started, I was reading the Motor Manual about solving problems. I remember the very first thing it said was to look for simple things first, like "is it out of gas" for example. OR IS THE SPARL PLUG WiRE ON. It didn't say that as they must have thought nobody can be that dumb

Well, I changed the plug and air filter anyway (thinking all the time it will probably crank up now even if I do nothing other than put the wire back on), but I had them, and I think it was time.

Then, two pulls and "Old Faithful" started right up.

So here are the two top backyard mechanics rules.

1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2. Always check the simplest and cheapest things first. You might get lucky.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions