SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Roses that do well in coastal gardens

fogrose
10 years ago

Gean (harborrose) and I both have coastal gardens and we're curious about the roses that do well for cool moist coastal gardens. I'm in CA near San Francisco so I have long cool springs and long cold foggy summers. If and when there's any heat to speak of it usually comes in September and October, although this year is different.

I am finding that in terms of overall health, the once blooming roses do very well. The rambler Francis E. Lester wins best of show in terms of number of blooms. Since all roses are only getting part sun, I never get the massive flushes that sunnier gardens get but F.E.Lester's display is good over an extended period.

The Gallicas are wonderful, never any disease. I also have the Damask Isphahan which is very healthy.

Other roses that do well and have next to no disease are Excellenz von Shubert, Cornelia, Blush Noisette, Narrow Water, Mrs. Woods Lavender Pink Noisette, Tutta's Noisette, Bubble Bath, Clytemnestra and Ghislaine de Feligonde.

The Hybrid Perpetuals are a mixed bag, some better than others, but all getting blackspot. Baronne Prevost, Old Town Novato and Benny Lopez look like they're going to be the best to keep.

The Portlands fair somewhat better with Rose de Rescht being the champion. Yes some disease but so what. A rose that beautiful and fragrant gets a lot of leeway.

I have young plants of Alba Maxima, Alba Suaveolens and Felicite Parmentier so can't say for sure but if they do anywhere near as good as the four plants I have of the Alba Belle Amour I will be thrilled.

The Tea Noisettes I'm attempting are Crepuscule which so far is shy of boom and Reve d'Or and Alister Stella Gray which are both quite respectable.

Rita Sammons and Perle d'Or are the Polyanthas along with Climbing Cecile Brunner which one sees everywhere in the bay area.

Baltimore Belle is determined to survive in a difficult position, getting buffeted by our coastal winds and still blooming away.

But the rose that I'm tucking in everywhere there's a space is Lyda Rose, the reblooming love child of Francis E. Lester that blooms in the shade along with Rosa gymnocarpa.

Whew, I've rambled on like Baltimore Belle. There's more young plants that I'm still evaluating (like Reine de Violettes and Zepherine Drouhin) but now I'll turn it over to others.

Diane

Comments (27)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor