SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

After year 3: the roses that do well for me

jerome
16 years ago

It is the 3rd season that I have been playing around in the mud outside in the gardens here. Too early to know what mature plants will do, but I can share what does well for a beginning gardener here so far in inland Orange County, California.

I am not a good enough gardener to make English Roses grow well. I know it can be done in this area, because I have seen Hoovb's magnificent garden. The only Austin that does well for me here is Golden Celebration. The 10 other varieties in the collection don't do well for me.

The varieties that are best so far are pretty eclectic, and include both old and new roses. Here they are:

Teas:

Souvenir de Pierre Notting  a stupendous rose. Gorgeous foliage, constant blooms, lovely bush formÂleaf for leaf, probably the best rose on the hilltop here.

Etoile de Lyon  not far behind Pierre Notting A lovely rose that is clean for me, grows nicely and wonderful flowers.

Mme. Berkeley  foliage unusual and beautiful, flowers to die forÂtook a long time to gain vertical momentum, but is doing well now.

Mrs. Dudley Cross  no one mentions the wonderful fragrance of this plant!

None of these have a spot of disease here, not even mildewÂever.

Hybrid Perpetuals

Grandmother's Hat - a great rose. If you live in OC, get it.

Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras:

Gemini  after SdPN, Gemini is probably the best rose here. Clean wonderful flowers, a great garden rose, and a beautiful plant. Very fine for cut flowers as well.

Pope John Paul II Â very nice form for flower and the bush, good in a vase too.

There are others that look promising, both old and modern, but they are too young to tell...but to give a 'sneak preview'...

Clementina Carbonieri looks fabulous here

Mons. Tillier is gonna be a heartbreaker

Niles Cochet is looking great

Mme. Berard looks promising

Marie van Houtte looks verrry promising

Moderns that look very promising

Strike it Rich

Moonstone

Roberto Capucci (spelling?)

Lemon Spice

Hope this helps someone,

Jerome

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!