SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swamp_rose

Back to roses after 10 years - things have changed - help! (long post)

swamp_rose
8 years ago

Dear Rosarians,
I'm not sure where to begin, but am so happy and relieved to have found this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts and catching up on the latest old rose cultivation news. In brief, about 15 years ago I discovered old roses, by a chance encounter with Steven Scanniello at BBG, who suggested Vintage and Pickering as good sources for roses. Can you imagine?! It was like being handed a new world on a silver platter - and some world to discover!
Over the years we planted dozens of roses - mostly old garden roses, a few Austins, and an assortment of hybrid musks, and selected 1930 - 1970's classics. It was a bounty! Then the twins came along, and then we decided to expand our teeny, tiny house and now - well - I have a lovely shade garden ;)

BUT, we have a terrace! And this spring we are designing and building proper planters because I am determined to bring some roses back into our lives (I kept and still have three lovelies in the front: Lavaglut, Blanc Double de Coubert and an unidentified charmer from Vintage which was mistakenly sent to me instead of Rosa Mundi, but this is definitely not that rose ... see below ). But the rest of the roses were mostly given away. If I had known ... only known that the sources for these roses would literally vanish ... Miranda, Duchessee d'Angoulême, and so many others ... (long, heavy sigh).

Marching forward:
I'm seeking a moderate climber that repeats and is very fragrant. Any thoughts? It's going to get a LOT of sun. We live in Brooklyn, so this is zone 6ish, but I understand I should be looking at roses suitable down to zone 5. I'm concerned about finding one that can take the heat and the sun.
Does anyone have any ideas for a great rose in this location?
And sources? I know ARE of course, and just ordered Rose de Rescht and Queen of the Bourbons from High Country (trying the Queen for the shade garden.) I've got Souvenir de Dr. Jamain there now, but this one is not doing well - not like the one I had in the old garden which pretty much made a fountain on our back wall. I'll move him up to the part shade wall on the terrace.
Rogue Valley, Greenmantle, Hortico, Roses of Yesterday and Today - any others of note?
I want to support the smaller nurseries if possible, so all suggestions are welcome! Many thanks!!

Comments (6)