SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kstrong

Rare Rose Auction by California Coastal Rose Society

13 years ago

I just thought I'd stop by and invite all of you to my rose society's rare rose auction. If you can come to Carlsbad in person, that would be great. If not, you can still participate by putting in a bid or two through the internet. This year, for the first time, we will be shipping roses (within the USA only), at our cost. Most of them are in 1 or 2 gallon containers. And we will hold roses until spring for all you cold zoners. This may be your one and only chance to get some of these roses -- they are not generally roses that are available through any commercial source in the U.S. The website with instructions for internet bidding is www.ccrsauction.com . The actual auction will be held on Sunday, November 14, 2010. If you bid through the internet, bids are due no later than noon on Saturday, November 13, 2010.

And here are some photos of a few of the 200 plus roses to be auctioned. The rest are listed on the website in 2 separate lists -- one for the Silent Auction and one for the Live Auction.

Maggie -- a found rose that would prefer to be a peony -- it grows tall (7+ feet and blooms heavily).

Peachy Cheeks -- a delightful floribunda from the same seed parent as Gemini (Anne Morrow Lindbergh). I think this variety may be available from K&M on Fortuniana rootstock, but if you want own root, this auction is the only source for this rose.

Ladybug: yep, that's a polka-dotted rose. This is a newly opened bloom -- the white parts turn pink on exposure to sun. It grows as a small floribunda -- 2 feet high max. Not available in commerce anywhere, which is a shame because it's such a cutie and so different from any other rose on the market.

Hi Ho -- a Ralph Moore mini climber.

Hondo -- some of you may know of John Sheldon and his goal to create phototropic roses -- this is one of his most phototropic success stories. The rose starts yellow and then as parts of the petals are exposed to the sun, the exposed parts turn pink. It's a fairly large hybrid tea.

Pompeii -- I know some of you are addicted to bicolors, so I threw this one in. Another hybrid tea.

Patriot Kordana: And I know others of you are addicted to stripes -- a mini.

So . . .come one, come all and I hope to see you there. Everyone is welcome to join us. Or, put in an internet bid, and we'll mail you your plant either now or in the spring at our cost.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Auction website main page

Comments (15)