SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

A Sad Day Indeed:PNHC Ends its Attempt to Save Heronswood

15 years ago

I was so very disappointed to receive this today. Having visited Heronswood many many times over the years, I had a great love and awe of it and its unique treasures. So many plant and design things learned. Now I have photos and memories, and lessons by which to live and garden.

June 11, 2008

To Our Wonderful Supporters:

It is with much sadness that we inform you that the Pacific Northwest Horticultural Conservancy (PNHC) has ended its attempts to acquire the Heronswood Garden property.

The appraisal and the feasibility study were both completed recently. With this information in hand, the board determined that the project was no longer viable as envisioned.

The key findings of the feasibility study pointed to some insurmountable limiting factors: too much time had passed since the initial closing of the garden, and there was no longer sufficient community interest and financial support to move forward. Additionally, in these two years the economic climate has worsened, impacting fundraising efforts negatively.

The full board of PNHC will hold its annual meeting at the end of June and discuss the future of the organization. We will continue to keep you informed.

As to the future of Heronswood Garden, PNHC is reassured by Burpee/Heronswood President George BallÂs pledge to require any purchaser of the property to preserve and maintain the garden.

We extend our gratitude to all who have supported our mission, and have contributed their time, efforts, funds and conviction to a vision of a future built on the foundation and principles that first created the now historic horticultural gem that is the Heronswood Garden.

With all our thanks,

The Board of Pacific Northwest Horticultural Conservancy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH