SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelwa

A small house attempting to use "A Pattern Language"

chelwa
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Fair warning: this is a long post :)

You may already be familiar with my previous attempts at designing a house. While I have liked many of the attempts they have generally seemed to be missing something that I couldn't put my finger on. I love Christopher Alexander's "A Pattern Language" so I decided to sit down one day and go through the book and try to apply as many patterns as possible. If you have not read this book I highly recommend it. In this book he tries to distill into "patterns" what makes a house feel like home and live well.

I have always loved this straw bale house but it is a little bigger than I would like and was designed for a California climate, while we will be building somewhere a little cooler. So I would like a higher proportion of my walls to be straw bale.

So I sat down with a rough sketch of that floor plan. Basically a row of bedrooms/bathrooms on the north and living space on the south. Then I cracked open "A Pattern Language" and went from there. I won't go through all the patterns but I will highlight a couple.

Farmhouse Kitchen: I think that this style kitchen reflects how my family lives quite well since cooking is a social occasion, even if only one or two people are cooking and our friends are often included in cooking a meal. It is definitely not something we hide behind closed doors. So for this reason I like the idea of a eat in kitchen, but also with room for someone to sit comfortably and chat with the cook.

Dressing room: This one caught my attention because it was not something I had every tried incorporating before but it struck me as something that would suit me. I couldn't get it to work out well for all bedrooms but since the children have their own rooms it seemed less important there. Also they won't live in the house nearly as long as me. :)

There are many other patterns I tried to include you can actually find the essential text of many online if you are interested: Sleeping to the East, Bathing room, Bulk storage, Light on Two Sides, Alcoves, The Fire, Bed Alcove, Thick walls, Cooking Layout, Built-in Seats, sheltering roof and others, some to a greater extent than others.

So if you are familiar with the book how do you think I did? If you aren't what do you think of the result? This house would be on 80 acres, in a lower rainfall area of western Washington. We have two kids currently 7 and 9 but it looks like building won't be for at least a couple of years. We entertain very informally. My thought is that the sitting room would double as a guest sleeping area (built in seats would be sized to be equivalent to at least 2 twin size mattresses, possibly day beds). I am not sure about the sitting room area size. I don't want to make it bigger "just in case" I would like to keep it cozy but I wouldn't want it to feel cramped. In our family it will be used as a place to sit and chat or read a book.

The laundry room would also have a work bench and space to have various crafts and "projects" spread out somewhere other than the dining table.

In the bathroom the idea is to have two powder rooms and then a larger wet room with a shower and an ofuro (soaking tub). Two showers doesn't make tons of sense because we don't expect to have a water system that will be able to accommodate being able to take two showers at a time. So the idea is that the area to the left could be for drying off, keeping towels, maybe a bench to sit and chat with the person in the tub.

We can't decide which way to have the wood stove face (it will be our primary heat source). I like it facing the kitchen but it also could be nice facing the sitting room.

Hopefully the rest is fairly self explanatory. Below are a rough concept of how the exterior would be (without windows). The north wall of the master bed room would be about 6.5' tall and the perimeter wall of the kid's space would also be of a similar height. Possibly with some level of sloped ceilings in both areas.

So what do you think? For me this is a whole new way to approach designing a house. At the very least it has been a fun and educational exercise. While I did try to design this as a house that would work for my family, I think it was also just a fun way to get a better understanding of what I want from a house.

Comments (153)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County